cs as a variety

  • Mona A
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2002
      Hello all,

      I'm not sure about this but what exactly determines if CS practice in a
      speech community can be regarded or given the term "language variety" or
      at least "functional variety"? Is it its frequency? Number of members
      accustomed to it? Approval of its existence in a community? or other
      purely linguistic factors related to its preservation of grammaticality of
      the base language or of both languages, etc.?

      What speech communities has already regarded CS a language variety?

      Can you refer me to any works, especially ones available online,
      addressing this issue?

      Thank you very much for your time.

      Mona A