data collection

  • dpc101
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2002
      Hello everybody,
      my name is Diego Pascual and I'm studying the Code-Switching
      phenomenon. Although I have found many books and material, I need
      help in order to find an "original" idea to collect all the data that
      I need. Right now I'm taping interviews and conversations but it
      seems that subjects do not want to switch when talking to me.
      Thank you very much for your time,
      DPC
    • adam paliwala
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2002
        Hi
        My advice is to make sure people know you are 'learning' their language. Even
        if you are fluent in all the codes in use in a given community, it is still
        fair to say that, unless you are a part of that community yourself, you are
        not fluent in their in-group language styles. Especially where this includes
        CS, you need to make it clear that you are trying to understand THEIR
        language, even if it is difficult for you.
        Interviews have not been useful to me in eliciting CS, unless there is more
        than one interviewee and CS is used when discussing answers ot your questions,
        but are important in giving you an opporunity to find out what people think
        about the language use in their community.
        Stick to participant observation - I think this puts you in the best situation
        for observing / recording CS.
        tingting blo mi tasol
        AdamBP

        Quoting dpc101 <dpc101@...>:

        > Hello everybody,
        > my name is Diego Pascual and I'm studying the Code-Switching
        > phenomenon. Although I have found many books and material, I need
        > help in order to find an "original" idea to collect all the data that
        > I need. Right now I'm taping interviews and conversations but it
        > seems that subjects do not want to switch when talking to me.
        > Thank you very much for your time,
        > DPC

        This mail sent through IMP: admin.arts.usyd.edu.au
      • Martina
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2002
          I have not done research yet, but I can offer some ideas about why your subjects don't want to switch. Being bilingual myself, I can see the problems your subjects have. I would categorise it as a psycho- or neurolinguistic problem. I find it extremely hard, almost impossible, to switch codes in certain environments. When I have been speaking to a person in, say, English, I can't just switch to German, although my partner may very much want to talk to me in that language. I suspect that two different codes use two very distinct neural pathways in the brain, and a switch requires a certain stimulus, say, a different person to talk to.
          To overcome your difficulties, it may be useful to try and have two persons interview, one for conversation in each code. I am not sure if this works at all, but it could be worth a try.
          Martina

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2002
            Martina <lutzmartina_@...> wrote:
            Hello Deigo,

            Iguess the idea given by martina is good. You can take different conversational parteners and do the data collection. you can look into brain and language