Re: [code-switching] Units of analysis

  • Doris Sommer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2001
      Dear Celso,

      I'm particularly interested in the irregularities of
      code-switching, that is the the literary effects of surprise and
      estrangement. I'm sure there are obvious leads for me, but I'm afraid that
      I need some basic advice. The object is to write on code-switching as a
      creative device.

      Thank you in advance,

      su endeudadoris

      At 04:05 AM 11/27/2001 +0100, you wrote:
      >A quite delayed contribution to the topic of units of analysis for
      >code-switching: Benjamin Bailey suggests conversation-analysis "turn
      >constructional units", as code-switching is an interactional phenomenon.
      >Units are not mutually exclusive, though -- it all depends on what you're
      >looking for. Code-switching is simply speech, so it's subject to a number
      >of approaches, just like (apparent) monolingual, monolectal speech.
      >
      >To me, though, the grammatical particularities of language alternation per
      >se are quite uninteresting in themselves -- but that's my bias. It's just
      >natural that people who speak various "languages" draw on any resource they
      >have at their disposal. The point is to treat these alternations in
      >relation to a number of communicative intentions and within an integrated
      >multimodal communicative repertoire.
      >
      >-celso

      >Web page: http//groups.yahoo.com/group/code-switching

    • linguaffix
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
        check the section on cs as speaker innovation and metaphor at
        http://www.vicnet.net.au/~petek/thesis/

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/