Re: [code-switching] Billingualism - maybe off-topic

  • Jakob Cromdal
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2001
      Hi,
      I vaguely remember Susan Ervin-Tripp relating to Mackey's work in a paper
      from 1972. If I'm not completely mistaken, it is a chapter in a volume
      edited by Fishman, _The sociology of language._ I think Mackey himself has
      a paper there too. I'm also pretty sure you will find some brief comments
      in Skutnabb-Kangas' (1981) _Bilingualism or not_ Multilingual Matters.
      Hope this helps,
      Jakob Cromdal

      At 20:44 2001-10-10 -0000, you wrote:
      >Fellow group members,
      >
      >I know this is the csw-forum but we are all dealing with
      >bi-/multilingual matters, don't we?
      >I am preparing an undergraduate course in Linguistics about
      >Bilingualism and came across the article by William F. Mackey
      >entitled "The description of Bilingualism" dating back to 1962.
      >I wonder if anyone on the list could help me with some
      >information about the reactions to this article, the reception of his
      >proposals among linguists and maybe the application of his
      >methods to measure bilingualism.
      >Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. If wanted
      >I'll post a summary of the results.
      >

      >Cheers
      >
      >Carsten Otto
      >Univ. of Bonn, Germany

      >Web page: http//groups.yahoo.com/group/code-switching

      *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
      Jakob Cromdal
      Research Associate
      Dept. of Child Studies tel: +46 13 282907
      Linkoping University fax: +46 13 282900
      581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@...
      SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
      *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    • Petek Kurtboke
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2001
        For over two decades (1950-1970s)the measurement of bilingualism was
        the top of the agenda so the only reaction from bilingualism\cs
        researchers at the time was acceptance. It seemed to be the right
        thing to do and Mackey wrote about the issue all through the second
        decade as he summed up at the end of 60s:

        ...bilingualism was "a variable phenomenon", therefore "it [could] be
        measured". However, before it could be measured, it had to be
        defined. The definition came in terms of categories (e.g.
        proficiency), dichotomies (e.g. stable vs unstable), and scales (e.g.
        bilingual semantic differentials) none of which proved totally
        successful. The measurement, likewise, came in terms of "function,
        stability, and distribution of the languages involved, in relation to
        their location, origin, and dominance" but there were problems with
        the identification of the unit of measurement, too.

        Mackey W F 1969 'Introduction. How can bilingualism be described and
        measured?' In Kelly, L G (ed) Desription and Measurement of
        Bilingualism. An international seminar. University of Moncton, June 6-
        4 1967. University of Toronto Press, Canada.

        --- In code-switching@y..., carsten_otto@y... wrote:
        > Fellow group members,
        >
        > I know this is the csw-forum but we are all dealing with
        > bi-/multilingual matters, don't we?
        > I am preparing an undergraduate course in Linguistics about
        > Bilingualism and came across the article by William F. Mackey
        > entitled "The description of Bilingualism" dating back to 1962.
        > I wonder if anyone on the list could help me with some
        > information about the reactions to this article, the reception of
        his
        > proposals among linguists and maybe the application of his
        > methods to measure bilingualism.
        > Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. If wanted
        > I'll post a summary of the results.
        >

        > Cheers
        >
        > Carsten Otto
        > Univ. of Bonn, Germany
      • James L. Fidelholtz
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2001
          On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 carsten_otto@... wrote:

          >Fellow group members,
          >
          >I know this is the csw-forum but we are all dealing with
          >bi-/multilingual matters, don't we?
          >I am preparing an undergraduate course in Linguistics about
          >Bilingualism and came across the article by William F. Mackey
          >entitled "The description of Bilingualism" dating back to 1962.

          Carsten:
          Just some random reflections on your query. Mackey's name seems
          to ring a bell to someone who was just breaking into linguistics
          (hard-core MIT type) when it was published. Needless to say, MIT types
          were interested generally in other things, so it didn't tend to make
          much of a splash with them. At the same time, American structuralists
          were also principally interested in more theoretical questions (despite
          the fact that many, Bloomfield included, had participated during WWII in
          developing and even teaching L2 courses for the Army and State Dept. of
          the US), and so I doubt that it had much effect on that group
          either. Remember that the very term 'interlanguage', which perhaps
          heralded the theoretical approach to bilingualism, wasn't even invented
          (by Selinker, if I haven't butchered his name) until the 70s (or, at the
          earliest, the late 60s).
          Note that these comments are definitely in retrospect, as I had
          nearly nothing to do personally with L2 teaching (except as a sometime
          student) until the middle-late 70s.

          >I wonder if anyone on the list could help me with some
          >information about the reactions to this article, the reception of his
          >proposals among linguists and maybe the application of his
          >methods to measure bilingualism.
          >Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. If wanted
          >I'll post a summary of the results.

          Anyway, I hope this is of some use, even if it doesn't really
          address directly your query.
          Jim

          --
          James L. Fidelholtz e-mail: jfidel@...
          Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje tel.: +(52-2)229-5500 x5705
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2001
            --- In code-switching@y..., "James L. Fidelholtz" <jfidel@s...> wrote:
            > On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 carsten_otto@y... wrote:
            >
            > >I am preparing an undergraduate course in Linguistics about
            > >Bilingualism and came across the article by William F. Mackey
            > >entitled "The description of Bilingualism" dating back to 1962.

            you could go back further than that:

            Mackey, W 1953 Bilingualism and Linguistic Structure. Culture 14
            pp143-149.

            > (...) MIT types
            > were interested generally in other things, so it didn't tend to make
            > much of a splash with them. At the same time, American
            structuralists
            > were also principally interested in more theoretical questions
            (despite
            > the fact that many, Bloomfield included, had participated during
            WWII in
            > developing and even teaching L2 courses for the Army and State
            Dept. of
            > the US), and so I doubt that it had much effect on that group
            > either.

            I suggest you look out for the earlier generation cs researchers
            trained outside those circles.

            > >I wonder if anyone on the list could help me with some
            > >information about the reactions to this article, the reception of
            his
            > >proposals among linguists and maybe the application of his
            > >methods to measure bilingualism.

            There are still some around and probably had contact with Mackey
            himself in the 1960s when the article was written.