RE: [code-switching] Re: 2 questions

  • Mariano de Vierna y Carles-Tolr�
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 20 3:32 AM
      Mona,

      [mona, wrote]
      > Greetings to you all
      >
      > You might find my questions rather stupid... but I
      > guess I need to know a
      > bit about them anyway... so bear with me please...
      >
      > 1) Is there any difference what so ever between
      > "codeswitching", "code switching" and "code-switching'?
      > Different researchers seem to use a different spelling
      > of the term so I only wondered why... or like why isn't
      > there a unified spelling for the term?
      >
      > Dear Mona,
      [mariano]
      Well, in my opinion as an area of study for wich any single
      word of natural language does not fit, it is coined a new word
      joining two wors by means of a hyphen. The need for that is
      to avoid the different logical properties that have words
      with respect sintagmas: "code switching" and "code-switching".
      If we speak of "codes switching" we have two directions for
      studies prior to joining them, but even thing we might be
      interested in all kinds of "codes" (Are we not?), we are not
      interested in all kinds of "switching" (Are we?), but are
      interested in cases of both at the same time code *and* switching.
      So the hyphen is introduced "code-switching". In some sense,
      that hyphen still shows that we are in an area of hypothetical study
      and not in daily natural language. But for some researchers either
      they feel it as a daily expresion that is worthy to include in daily natural
      language, or they would like things to be that way so that they
      make it to look as a daily natural language word (or they hate
      hyphens :-)). I think it is better to keep the hyphen, because by other
      ortographic trick as are capital letters both words are capitalized:
      Code Switching, CS, what may indicate that they are just two
      concepts put together to be treated as one concept/word.

      With respect code-switching of wich I'm not an expert at all -as
      you might think- I think that a strong hypothesis like that there
      is only code-switching when the user knows/has two or more
      codes and consciously changes from one to another is not what
      is intended by it, although that is what it seems to suggest to me.
      The proper hypothesis seems to me should be a weak one, were
      the compoun word "code-switching" is not so clearly asociated with
      the object it gives name but rather functions as a lavel for a
      variety of observations for wich the change of code in some of them
      might not be even its most characteristic property.

      Yours cordially,
      mariano
    • Just_plain_Ben@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001
        --- In code-switching@y..., Celso Alvarez Cáccamo <lxalvarz@u...>
        wrote:

        > At any rate, I
        > suppose CS cannot stand for 'codeswitching',which is just one word;
        to my
        > knowledge, single words cannot have two initials ;-) .

        Television = TV

        I'm not a linguist but I have interpreted for one!

        Ben Karlin
        St. Louis, MO