Re: 2 questions

  • Petek Kurtboke
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11, 2001
      thanks for that Celso!

      My concern is really something else...

      a field of study where a hyphen is turned into a pressure tool or
      perhaps a symbol of group membership has problems.

      --- In code-switching@y..., Celso Alvarez Cáccamo <lxalvarz@u...>
      wrote:

      > Petek Kurtboke wrote:
      >
      > >Hey Celso, what about the abbreviation CS, is there an embedded
      hypen
      > >in there or not?
      >
      > I suppose it might, or it might not. CS could stand for 'Code
      Switching'

    • lxalvarz@udc.es
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11, 2001
        --- In code-switching@y..., "Petek Kurtboke" <pkurtboke@h...> wrote:

        > Hey Otto, il ya beaucoup de difference entre "widespread" and
        > "used by scholars such as....", to me at least.
        > LET THE 6TH GENERATION BE FREE FROM ARSE-LICKING!

        Petek, take it easy. I know that the 6th Generation is so
        important for the Entire World that it will be able to
        erradicate global misery, epidemics, sexual slavery, and child
        slavery. But Carsten only mentioned some authors who use
        the hyphenated form "code-switching". He considers
        this usage "widespread". I don't see much of the practice
        you mention.

        The opposite of the practice you mention is Gratuitous
        Head-Bashing. Or headbashing, same difference.

        I also see that people don't agree that there are different
        connotations in the hyphenated vs. non-hyphenated forms.
        Alright. If it were a big issue for the 6th Generation probably
        an important publishing house would be on top of it. In fact,
        the issue only affects English, as far as I know. In many other
        languages the odious hyphen is absent. So, let's talk about
        what the phenomenon consists of, as opposed to other
        phenomena.

        -celso
        Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
        lxalvarz@...
      • Jakob Cromdal
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 13, 2001
          Hi Petek and all,
          I need to catch up on our great history -which are the 5 generations before
          us?
          /JC

          *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
          Jakob Cromdal
          Research Associate
          Dept. of Child Studies tel: +46 13 282907
          Linkoping University fax: +46 13 282900
          581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@...
          SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
          *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
        • Petek Kurtboke
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13, 2001
            Thanks Jacob, the idea of reviewing the cs literature in terms of
            generations was mine and if you look at my Ph.D thesis at
            http://www.vicnet.net.au/~petek/thesis/ you'll find my view of the
            preceding five generations there.

            As in my messages to the list, also in my thesis, my aim has been to
            push the field forward, not to erect statues...Whether the sixth
            generation follows the example will depend on the academic honesty of
            those who have the privilege of supervising theses.

            --- In code-switching@y..., Jakob Cromdal <JakCr@T...> wrote:

            > Hi Petek and all,
            > I need to catch up on our great history -which are the 5
            generations before
            > us?
            > /JC
            >

            > *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
            ***
            > Jakob Cromdal
            > Research Associate
            > Dept. of Child Studies tel: +46 13 282907
            > Linkoping University fax: +46 13 282900
            > 581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@t...
            > SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
            > *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
            ***
          • Mariano de Vierna y Carles-Tolr�
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 20, 2001
              Mona,

              [mona, wrote]
              > Greetings to you all
              >
              > You might find my questions rather stupid... but I
              > guess I need to know a
              > bit about them anyway... so bear with me please...
              >
              > 1) Is there any difference what so ever between
              > "codeswitching", "code switching" and "code-switching'?
              > Different researchers seem to use a different spelling
              > of the term so I only wondered why... or like why isn't
              > there a unified spelling for the term?
              >
              > Dear Mona,
              [mariano]
              Well, in my opinion as an area of study for wich any single
              word of natural language does not fit, it is coined a new word
              joining two wors by means of a hyphen. The need for that is
              to avoid the different logical properties that have words
              with respect sintagmas: "code switching" and "code-switching".
              If we speak of "codes switching" we have two directions for
              studies prior to joining them, but even thing we might be
              interested in all kinds of "codes" (Are we not?), we are not
              interested in all kinds of "switching" (Are we?), but are
              interested in cases of both at the same time code *and* switching.
              So the hyphen is introduced "code-switching". In some sense,
              that hyphen still shows that we are in an area of hypothetical study
              and not in daily natural language. But for some researchers either
              they feel it as a daily expresion that is worthy to include in daily natural
              language, or they would like things to be that way so that they
              make it to look as a daily natural language word (or they hate
              hyphens :-)). I think it is better to keep the hyphen, because by other
              ortographic trick as are capital letters both words are capitalized:
              Code Switching, CS, what may indicate that they are just two
              concepts put together to be treated as one concept/word.

              With respect code-switching of wich I'm not an expert at all -as
              you might think- I think that a strong hypothesis like that there
              is only code-switching when the user knows/has two or more
              codes and consciously changes from one to another is not what
              is intended by it, although that is what it seems to suggest to me.
              The proper hypothesis seems to me should be a weak one, were
              the compoun word "code-switching" is not so clearly asociated with
              the object it gives name but rather functions as a lavel for a
              variety of observations for wich the change of code in some of them
              might not be even its most characteristic property.

              Yours cordially,
              mariano
            • Just_plain_Ben@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001
                wrote:

                > At any rate, I
                > suppose CS cannot stand for 'codeswitching',which is just one word;
                to my
                > knowledge, single words cannot have two initials ;-) .

                Television = TV

                I'm not a linguist but I have interpreted for one!

                Ben Karlin
                St. Louis, MO