Re: [code-switching] Re: 2 questions

  • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11, 2001
      Petek Kurtboke wrote:

      >Hey Celso, what about the abbreviation CS, is there an embedded hypen
      >in there or not?

      I suppose it might, or it might not. CS could stand for 'Code Switching'
      (just as SLA stands for Second Language Acquisition) or for
      'Code-Switching' (just as FTA = Face-Threatening Act). At any rate, I
      suppose CS cannot stand for 'codeswitching',which is just one word; to my
      knowledge, single words cannot have two initials ;-) .

      Why do you ask?

      Celso Álvarez Cáccamo
      lxalvarz@...
      http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac
    • Petek Kurtboke
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11, 2001
        thanks for that Celso!

        My concern is really something else...

        a field of study where a hyphen is turned into a pressure tool or
        perhaps a symbol of group membership has problems.

        --- In code-switching@y..., Celso Alvarez Cáccamo <lxalvarz@u...>

      • lxalvarz@udc.es
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11, 2001
          --- In code-switching@y..., "Petek Kurtboke" <pkurtboke@h...> wrote:

          > Hey Otto, il ya beaucoup de difference entre "widespread" and
          > "used by scholars such as....", to me at least.
          > LET THE 6TH GENERATION BE FREE FROM ARSE-LICKING!

          Petek, take it easy. I know that the 6th Generation is so
          important for the Entire World that it will be able to
          erradicate global misery, epidemics, sexual slavery, and child
          slavery. But Carsten only mentioned some authors who use
          the hyphenated form "code-switching". He considers
          this usage "widespread". I don't see much of the practice
          you mention.

          The opposite of the practice you mention is Gratuitous
          Head-Bashing. Or headbashing, same difference.

          I also see that people don't agree that there are different
          connotations in the hyphenated vs. non-hyphenated forms.
          Alright. If it were a big issue for the 6th Generation probably
          an important publishing house would be on top of it. In fact,
          the issue only affects English, as far as I know. In many other
          languages the odious hyphen is absent. So, let's talk about
          what the phenomenon consists of, as opposed to other
          phenomena.

          -celso
          Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
          lxalvarz@...
        • Jakob Cromdal
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13, 2001
            Hi Petek and all,
            I need to catch up on our great history -which are the 5 generations before
            us?
            /JC

            *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
            Jakob Cromdal
            Research Associate
            Dept. of Child Studies tel: +46 13 282907
            Linkoping University fax: +46 13 282900
            581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@...
            SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
            *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
          • Petek Kurtboke
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13, 2001
              Thanks Jacob, the idea of reviewing the cs literature in terms of
              generations was mine and if you look at my Ph.D thesis at
              http://www.vicnet.net.au/~petek/thesis/ you'll find my view of the
              preceding five generations there.

              As in my messages to the list, also in my thesis, my aim has been to
              push the field forward, not to erect statues...Whether the sixth
              generation follows the example will depend on the academic honesty of
              those who have the privilege of supervising theses.

              --- In code-switching@y..., Jakob Cromdal <JakCr@T...> wrote:

              > Hi Petek and all,
              > I need to catch up on our great history -which are the 5
              generations before
              > us?
              > /JC
              >

              > *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
              ***
              > Jakob Cromdal
              > Research Associate
              > Dept. of Child Studies tel: +46 13 282907
              > Linkoping University fax: +46 13 282900
              > 581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@t...
              > SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
              > *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
              ***
            • Mariano de Vierna y Carles-Tolr�
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 20, 2001
                Mona,

                [mona, wrote]
                > Greetings to you all
                >
                > You might find my questions rather stupid... but I
                > guess I need to know a
                > bit about them anyway... so bear with me please...
                >
                > 1) Is there any difference what so ever between
                > "codeswitching", "code switching" and "code-switching'?
                > Different researchers seem to use a different spelling
                > of the term so I only wondered why... or like why isn't
                > there a unified spelling for the term?
                >
                > Dear Mona,
                [mariano]
                Well, in my opinion as an area of study for wich any single
                word of natural language does not fit, it is coined a new word
                joining two wors by means of a hyphen. The need for that is
                to avoid the different logical properties that have words
                with respect sintagmas: "code switching" and "code-switching".
                If we speak of "codes switching" we have two directions for
                studies prior to joining them, but even thing we might be
                interested in all kinds of "codes" (Are we not?), we are not
                interested in all kinds of "switching" (Are we?), but are
                interested in cases of both at the same time code *and* switching.
                So the hyphen is introduced "code-switching". In some sense,
                that hyphen still shows that we are in an area of hypothetical study
                and not in daily natural language. But for some researchers either
                they feel it as a daily expresion that is worthy to include in daily natural
                language, or they would like things to be that way so that they
                make it to look as a daily natural language word (or they hate
                hyphens :-)). I think it is better to keep the hyphen, because by other
                ortographic trick as are capital letters both words are capitalized:
                Code Switching, CS, what may indicate that they are just two
                concepts put together to be treated as one concept/word.

                With respect code-switching of wich I'm not an expert at all -as
                you might think- I think that a strong hypothesis like that there
                is only code-switching when the user knows/has two or more
                codes and consciously changes from one to another is not what
                is intended by it, although that is what it seems to suggest to me.
                The proper hypothesis seems to me should be a weak one, were
                the compoun word "code-switching" is not so clearly asociated with
                the object it gives name but rather functions as a lavel for a
                variety of observations for wich the change of code in some of them
                might not be even its most characteristic property.

                Yours cordially,
                mariano
              • Just_plain_Ben@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 29, 2001
                  wrote:

                  > At any rate, I
                  > suppose CS cannot stand for 'codeswitching',which is just one word;
                  to my
                  > knowledge, single words cannot have two initials ;-) .

                  Television = TV

                  I'm not a linguist but I have interpreted for one!

                  Ben Karlin
                  St. Louis, MO