Re: [code-switching] code switching

  • azlinawati saleh
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
      thank you all for the replies.
      i do agree that MLF is not talking about the third
      grammar exists in the bilingual's speech. what about
      the semilinguals, are they left undiscussed when the
      issue comes into picture? their language proficiency
      is incomplete. how do we relate this MLF, can we find
      similarity between semilinguals's syntactic structure
      to MLF?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
        i will read thoroughly what you have written and reply
        later. thank you.
        --- Adam Blaxter Paliwala

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Kembo Sure
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2001
          Evelyn
          I like your thoughts about Sheng but I think you are missing some facts
          about the phenomenon as it occurs here. It is true that there is CS
          between the Kenyan languages and English and this has occurred to the
          extent that the youth have developed a kind of code we popularly call
          Sheng. Is Sheng similar to pidgin/creole in any way? Yes and no. Sheng
          is a consciously constructed code used by bilingual people with
          different mother tongues or sharing a mother tongue, but deliberately
          wishing to cut off a certain section of the speech community to which
          they also belong. It is a kind of secret jargon. Secondly, it is not
          true that Sheng is being acquired by children as a first language; this
          may happen later but it is still a far cry given the prevailing attitude
          to Sheng even by its own users. Sheng speakers will tell you that they
          outgrow it after some time and that it is so dynamic that no two
          generations would speak the same variety. This kind of situation does
          not auger well for its acquisition by children.

          kembo

          I think that the existance of language C is right and could be
          called an
          extra language spoken by the speaker. This is so coz, following
          the MLF
          model you just mentioned, we have the dominant and the embedded
          languages
          and there are cases, where this type of mixing and switching has
          resulted
          to the emergence of another language.For exmaple, in Kenya,
          Swahili is the
          national language, English official and other indegineous
          languages. As a
          result of this, a language called Sheng has emerged and it has
          as its
          dominant structure the grammar of swahili,and emebedded words
          from English
          and other indegineous languages, and is spoken as a third
          language and
          first language to some little children now. Other cases of mixed
          languages
          would reveal a similar phenomenon. Check out references of works
          done by
          Maarten Mous, Majorie Meechan and Shana Poplack on how languages
          fit
          together in Code-mixing and switching and how it brings about
          the issue of
          the extra language. Hope i have helped.
          Lynn

          On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 stussy_tom@... wrote:

          > hello,
          > i would like to ask about the three languages, which are
          claimed to
          > be acquired by biligual speakers or i am more prefer to use
          speakers
          > of more than one language. language A, B, and C whereby C
          refers to
          > the third language exists because the speaker speaks "an extra

          > language".
          > those who have read Romaine's "Bilingualism" might have come
          across
          > the Matrix language and Embedded language frame.
          >
          > my question is, if there is at all why do language C exist? if
          we
          > follow what Romaine has said, the Matrix language applies to
          the
          > dominant language (L1) and the Embedded language will be the
          weaker
          > ones. can't we just rely on what Romaine's has said?

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Zahra Amirian
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2004
            Hello there,
            I am a PhD student studying TEFL. Next Monday, I have a lecture on "code switching and language contact". It was fascinating to me to find such a site. but unfortunately I couldn't get any articles from this site . Specially, I need information about psychological aspect of code switching. Would you please help me? I will be so thankful.
            Thanks in advance.
            I'm eagerly waiting for the response.

          • Silvina Faure
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004
              Hi everyone!
              My name is Silvina. I live in Argentina and I am a teacher of English. I'm very interested in Lingüistics and I'm planning to take up a postgraduate course on that.
              I've read Zahra's mail looking for information on code-switching. As far as I know - and speaking from a personal perspective as well - when an individual is bilingual he/she attaches a particular language to specific domains. When dealing with feelings and personal issues, the mother tongue is likely to come up as the best vehicle to deal with these. Therefore, two people can work together and use their second language as the language of work, but switch to their mother tongue when they are having a more intimate conversation. From my personal experience, it wouldn't cross my mind to use English with my children when we are having a personal conversation, it would be impersonal and less sincere. Therefore, I only do so for casual chit chat. The same applies to diglossic situations, for example, in Paraguay Spanish is used in educational and official contexts, whereas jokes and family talk - the type of interaction that aims at strengthening social bonds - takes place in Guaraní. I think this is so because language is so inextricably linked to culture and to identity. Well, hope to read what others have to say,
              Best,
              Silvina
              I am a PhD student studying TEFL. Next Monday, I have a lecture on "code switching and language contact". It was fascinating to me to find such a site. but unfortunately I couldn't get any articles from this site . Specially, I need information about psychological aspect of code switching. Would you please help me? I will be so thankful.
              Thanks in advance.
              I'm eagerly waiting for the response.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • lidaa aka
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                hi everyone,
                silvina...there is a problem....what you are talking
                about is alternation i.e. use of different languages
                in different domains et....however, code
                mixing/switching is when you mix two languages in the
                same sentence or maybe speak out one clause in one
                language and another in another language. to put it
                nicely, we can say say that code mixing can be
                intersentential or intrasentential........ (i dont
                want to go into the details of nomenclature here but
                code mixing and swithching can be used for each other
                though it is better to use inter- or intra-sentential
                to clarify what we are saying)...
                lidaa

                --- Silvina Faure <si_re_fa@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone!
                > My name is Silvina. I live in Argentina and I am a
                > teacher of English. I'm very interested in
                > Ling�istics and I'm planning to take up a
                > postgraduate course on that.
                > I've read Zahra's mail looking for information on
                > code-switching. As far as I know - and speaking from
                > a personal perspective as well - when an individual
                > is bilingual he/she attaches a particular language
                > to specific domains. When dealing with feelings and
                > personal issues, the mother tongue is likely to come
                > up as the best vehicle to deal with these.
                > Therefore, two people can work together and use
                > their second language as the language of work, but
                > switch to their mother tongue when they are having a
                > more intimate conversation. From my personal
                > experience, it wouldn't cross my mind to use English
                > with my children when we are having a personal
                > conversation, it would be impersonal and less
                > sincere. Therefore, I only do so for casual chit
                > chat. The same applies to diglossic situations, for
                > example, in Paraguay Spanish is used in educational
                > and official contexts, whereas jokes and family talk
                > - the type of interaction that aims at strengthening
                > social bonds - takes place in Guaran�. I think this
                > is so because language is so inextricably linked to
                > culture and to identity. Well, hope to read what
                > others have to say,
                > Best,
                > Silvina

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • Silvina Faure
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                  All right, Lidaa. As far as I knew, code-switching applies to
                  intersentential alternation and code mixing refers to alternation within the
                  same sentence. I think the situation I described is an instance of
                  code-switching according to domain. There are other instances in which
                  code-switching can be used to indicate mood, intention, etc. Anyway, I
                  entered this list to learn more so it's always enriching to read what others
                  say.