Re: [code-switching] code switching

  • Nathan Ogechi
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2001
      I am not sure if a third language actually exists
      when bilinguals codeswitch. If one is indeed talking
      about the ML - be it by Myesr-Scotton and her
      associates in the MLF, Boumans, Kamwangamalu, Backus
      etc - then, only one of the languages must be in
      charge of the CS morphosyntactically. I say this
      because I am not aware of an MLF model that is talking
      about a third or fourth grammar in CS. I am
      investigating tringual CS in Kenya involving
      Kiswahili, Ekegusii and English using the MLF and its
      extensions by Myers-Scotton. Only of the three
      languages controls the switching at CP level. Talking
      about another language apart from those in the
      switching is as good as proposing that CS is a
      "language" in itself. Meeuwis and Blommaert (1998)
      through their monolectal view argued that it is in the
      eye of the researcher that there seems to be CS while
      for the CSer the CS is the language. The CSers know no
      other language. Their analysis, however, ended up
      recognising the "book" languages. In other words, I am
      not sure if the existence of third or fourth language
      in CS can be convincingly argued for. I doubt if the
      emergence of Sheng in Kenya is a correct explanation
      for the third language. Are we saying that my subjects
      speak a "Sheng" apart from switching between their
      three languages? What is our view about Sheng? We need
      to be very clear about the phenomenon before we give
      it as evidence. Further, is it always true that people
      who CS between English, Kiswahili and Luhya speak a
      fourth language - Sheng?

      Hi,

    • Kembo Sure
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2001
        I am yet to read what Evelyn says about Sheng but it is hardly true that
        Sheng is acquiring native speakers; the code is so unstable yet that it
        would be difficult to imagine a group relying on it for all their
        crucial communication needs.
        Kembo

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
          thank you all for the replies.
          i do agree that MLF is not talking about the third
          grammar exists in the bilingual's speech. what about
          the semilinguals, are they left undiscussed when the
          issue comes into picture? their language proficiency
          is incomplete. how do we relate this MLF, can we find
          similarity between semilinguals's syntactic structure
          to MLF?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
            i will read thoroughly what you have written and reply
            later. thank you.
            --- Adam Blaxter Paliwala

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Kembo Sure
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2001
              Evelyn
              I like your thoughts about Sheng but I think you are missing some facts
              about the phenomenon as it occurs here. It is true that there is CS
              between the Kenyan languages and English and this has occurred to the
              extent that the youth have developed a kind of code we popularly call
              Sheng. Is Sheng similar to pidgin/creole in any way? Yes and no. Sheng
              is a consciously constructed code used by bilingual people with
              different mother tongues or sharing a mother tongue, but deliberately
              wishing to cut off a certain section of the speech community to which
              they also belong. It is a kind of secret jargon. Secondly, it is not
              true that Sheng is being acquired by children as a first language; this
              may happen later but it is still a far cry given the prevailing attitude
              to Sheng even by its own users. Sheng speakers will tell you that they
              outgrow it after some time and that it is so dynamic that no two
              generations would speak the same variety. This kind of situation does
              not auger well for its acquisition by children.

              kembo

              I think that the existance of language C is right and could be
              called an
              extra language spoken by the speaker. This is so coz, following
              the MLF
              model you just mentioned, we have the dominant and the embedded
              languages
              and there are cases, where this type of mixing and switching has
              resulted
              to the emergence of another language.For exmaple, in Kenya,
              Swahili is the
              national language, English official and other indegineous
              languages. As a
              result of this, a language called Sheng has emerged and it has
              as its
              dominant structure the grammar of swahili,and emebedded words
              from English
              and other indegineous languages, and is spoken as a third
              language and
              first language to some little children now. Other cases of mixed
              languages
              would reveal a similar phenomenon. Check out references of works
              done by
              Maarten Mous, Majorie Meechan and Shana Poplack on how languages
              fit
              together in Code-mixing and switching and how it brings about
              the issue of
              the extra language. Hope i have helped.
              Lynn

              On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 stussy_tom@... wrote:

              > hello,
              > i would like to ask about the three languages, which are
              claimed to
              > be acquired by biligual speakers or i am more prefer to use
              speakers
              > of more than one language. language A, B, and C whereby C
              refers to
              > the third language exists because the speaker speaks "an extra

              > language".
              > those who have read Romaine's "Bilingualism" might have come
              across
              > the Matrix language and Embedded language frame.
              >
              > my question is, if there is at all why do language C exist? if
              we
              > follow what Romaine has said, the Matrix language applies to
              the
              > dominant language (L1) and the Embedded language will be the
              weaker
              > ones. can't we just rely on what Romaine's has said?

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Zahra Amirian
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2004
                Hello there,
                I am a PhD student studying TEFL. Next Monday, I have a lecture on "code switching and language contact". It was fascinating to me to find such a site. but unfortunately I couldn't get any articles from this site . Specially, I need information about psychological aspect of code switching. Would you please help me? I will be so thankful.
                Thanks in advance.
                I'm eagerly waiting for the response.

              • Silvina Faure
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004
                  Hi everyone!
                  My name is Silvina. I live in Argentina and I am a teacher of English. I'm very interested in Lingüistics and I'm planning to take up a postgraduate course on that.
                  I've read Zahra's mail looking for information on code-switching. As far as I know - and speaking from a personal perspective as well - when an individual is bilingual he/she attaches a particular language to specific domains. When dealing with feelings and personal issues, the mother tongue is likely to come up as the best vehicle to deal with these. Therefore, two people can work together and use their second language as the language of work, but switch to their mother tongue when they are having a more intimate conversation. From my personal experience, it wouldn't cross my mind to use English with my children when we are having a personal conversation, it would be impersonal and less sincere. Therefore, I only do so for casual chit chat. The same applies to diglossic situations, for example, in Paraguay Spanish is used in educational and official contexts, whereas jokes and family talk - the type of interaction that aims at strengthening social bonds - takes place in Guaraní. I think this is so because language is so inextricably linked to culture and to identity. Well, hope to read what others have to say,
                  Best,
                  Silvina
                  I am a PhD student studying TEFL. Next Monday, I have a lecture on "code switching and language contact". It was fascinating to me to find such a site. but unfortunately I couldn't get any articles from this site . Specially, I need information about psychological aspect of code switching. Would you please help me? I will be so thankful.
                  Thanks in advance.
                  I'm eagerly waiting for the response.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • lidaa aka
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
                    hi everyone,
                    silvina...there is a problem....what you are talking
                    about is alternation i.e. use of different languages
                    in different domains et....however, code
                    mixing/switching is when you mix two languages in the
                    same sentence or maybe speak out one clause in one
                    language and another in another language. to put it
                    nicely, we can say say that code mixing can be
                    intersentential or intrasentential........ (i dont
                    want to go into the details of nomenclature here but
                    code mixing and swithching can be used for each other
                    though it is better to use inter- or intra-sentential
                    to clarify what we are saying)...
                    lidaa

                    --- Silvina Faure <si_re_fa@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone!
                    > My name is Silvina. I live in Argentina and I am a
                    > teacher of English. I'm very interested in
                    > Ling�istics and I'm planning to take up a
                    > postgraduate course on that.
                    > I've read Zahra's mail looking for information on
                    > code-switching. As far as I know - and speaking from
                    > a personal perspective as well - when an individual
                    > is bilingual he/she attaches a particular language
                    > to specific domains. When dealing with feelings and
                    > personal issues, the mother tongue is likely to come
                    > up as the best vehicle to deal with these.
                    > Therefore, two people can work together and use
                    > their second language as the language of work, but
                    > switch to their mother tongue when they are having a
                    > more intimate conversation. From my personal
                    > experience, it wouldn't cross my mind to use English
                    > with my children when we are having a personal
                    > conversation, it would be impersonal and less
                    > sincere. Therefore, I only do so for casual chit
                    > chat. The same applies to diglossic situations, for
                    > example, in Paraguay Spanish is used in educational
                    > and official contexts, whereas jokes and family talk
                    > - the type of interaction that aims at strengthening
                    > social bonds - takes place in Guaran�. I think this
                    > is so because language is so inextricably linked to
                    > culture and to identity. Well, hope to read what
                    > others have to say,
                    > Best,
                    > Silvina

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  • Silvina Faure
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
                      All right, Lidaa. As far as I knew, code-switching applies to
                      intersentential alternation and code mixing refers to alternation within the
                      same sentence. I think the situation I described is an instance of
                      code-switching according to domain. There are other instances in which
                      code-switching can be used to indicate mood, intention, etc. Anyway, I
                      entered this list to learn more so it's always enriching to read what others
                      say.