Re: [code-switching] code switching in children age/sex differences

  • Jakob Cromdal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2001
      Hi,
      CS in children has been approached from different perspectives, one of
      which is social interaction. If that's what you're looking for you may want
      to check out the CS database at http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/codeswitching/
      It is searchable in different ways. A few names to look for:
      Auer/Cromdal/Guldal/Jorgensen/Rampton/Zentella -they all deal with
      bilingual interaction among young people.
      Best,
      Jakob

      At 20:22 2001-06-18 -0000, you wrote:
      >I am interested in code-switching by children who are bilingual. I
      >come from Malta and I am reading for a M. Ed. Literacy
      >Ninette

      >Web page: http//groups.yahoo.com/group/code-switching

      *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
      Jakob Cromdal
      Postdoc. Fellow
      Dept. of Child Studies tel: +46 13 282907
      Linkoping University fax: +46 13 282900
      581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@...
      SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
      *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    • Evelyne Kisembe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2001
        Hi,

        I am interested and working on a language which is as a result of CS,
        though there seems to be some words that indicate borrowing, and am not
        sure how i can go about finding which category the language falls in.Any
        info on languages or literature about such types of
        cases? Mixedlanguages?

        Lynn
      • Petek Kurtboke
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2001
          Hi Evelyne,
          OSMANLICA (the Ottoman language) was a perfectly mixed language of
          Arabic, Persian and Turkish elements for a good few decades ie until
          the Turkish Language Reform took place in early 1930s. It is still
          possible to investigate Osmanlica texts written of course in Arabic
          script. You can find similar cases in the Balkans, as for example
          Albanian which heavily borrowed from the surrounding languages such
          as Turkish as well as Italian, and shows very strong examples of cs-
          borrowing. But then at which stage exactly does Cmx become Lmx?
          with best wishes
          Petek

          Kurtboke, P forthcoming 'Schizoglossia, Turkish Language Reform and
          dictionaries'