New poll for code-switching

  • code-switching@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2001
      code-switching group:

      I would like to review the Code-
      Switching list for "L'analisi
      linguistica e letteraria", the Journal
      published by the Department where I am
      working (Lingue e letterature
      straniere, Universit´┐Ż Cattolica, Milan -
      Italy).

      How frequently do you write to the Code-
      Switching list?

      o More than once a day
      o Once a day
      o More than once a week
      o Once a week
      o More than once a month
      o Once a month
      o I wrote a few times
      o I wrote once
      o I never wrote

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!

    • code-switching@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2001
        code-switching group:

        I have a second question for my review:

        What do you use this list for?

        o To get bibliographical references
        o To discuss themes which emerge in my recent research
        o To keep in touch with linguistics-mates I already know
        o To know more linguistists working in the same area as me
        o To make some training in the application of so-called "new technologies" for my research work

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!

      • code-switching@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2001
          code-switching group:

          Last question. Have you got relevant
          aids / suggestions / references /
          contacts... from the list? THANK-YOU
          VERY MUCH

          o Yes, very relevant
          o Quite useful
          o Sometimes
          o Once, more or less
          o Never

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!

        • code-switching@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 3:53 PM
            code-switching group:

            It has been suggested that a website
            devoted to code-switching should be
            created. You are:

            o for
            o against
            o not sure if it is worth doing that
            o of another opinion not listed above (please, post it to the Forum)

            web site listed above.

            Thanks!
          • Marian Sloboda
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3 3:17 AM
              Dear list members,

              many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not want
              to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
              votes to my address maslo@... (or to code-switching-
              owner@yahoogroups.com).

              Thank you,
              best,
              Marian Sloboda

              --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, code-switching@yahoogroups.com

            • ashleymw@umich.edu
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3 7:45 AM
                Marian,

                I'd like to vote FOR a code-switching website.

                Thanks for doing this,
                Ashley Williams

                Quoting Marian Sloboda <maslo@...>:

                > Dear list members,
                >
                > many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not want
                > to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
                > votes to my address maslo@... (or to code-switching-
                > owner@yahoogroups.com).
                >
                > Thank you,
                > best,
                > Marian Sloboda
                >

                > --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, code-switching@yahoogroups.com
                > wrote:

                > > code-switching group:
                > >
                > > It has been suggested that a website
                > > devoted to code-switching should be
                > > created. You are:
                > >
                > > o for
                > > o against
                > > o not sure if it is worth doing that
                > > o of another opinion not listed above (please, post it to the
                > Forum)

                > > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
                > > web site listed above.
                > >
                > > Thanks!

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • luciaq
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3 3:28 PM
                  I'd like to vote FOR a code-switching website.
                  Lucia Quental
                  luciaq@...

                  Thanks
                  L.

                  ---
                • sam soliman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3 9:41 PM
                    Hi, Marian

                    I'd like to vote FOR a web site to CS.

                    Best regards,

                    Andrea Valente

                    --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Marian Sloboda" <maslo@z...>
                    wrote:
                    > Dear list members,
                    >
                    > many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not
                    want
                    > to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
                    > votes to my address maslo@z... (or to code-switching-
                    > owner@yahoogroups.com).
                    >
                    > Thank you,
                    > best,
                    > Marian Sloboda
                    >

                    > --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, code-
                    switching@yahoogroups.com
                    > wrote:

                    > > code-switching group:
                    > >
                    > > It has been suggested that a website
                    > > devoted to code-switching should be
                    > > created. You are:
                    > >
                    > > o for
                    > > o against
                    > > o not sure if it is worth doing that
                    > > o of another opinion not listed above (please, post it to the
                    > Forum)

                    > > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo!
                    Groups
                    > > web site listed above.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                  • P. Kerim Friedman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 5 9:58 AM
                      Marian specifically asked people to send e-mail to her private e-mail
                      address or to:

                      <code-switching-owner@yahoogroups.com>

                      NOT to the list. If you are writing simply to vote please don't post to
                      the list as a whole.

                      Personally, I'm not sure I understand the point of the vote. It seems
                      to intuitively obvious me that a central repository of information on
                      code-switching would be useful to everyone. I'm not sure we need a vote
                      to tell us that. How useful it will be depends on the quality of the
                      site itself and how well it is maintained. In other words, the question
                      isn't whether we need such a site but what such a site should look like
                      and who will be responsible for maintaining it. Personally I believe
                      that we should install what is called a "wiki" as such software is
                      geared towards collaborative maintenance. It is fairly trivial to
                      install such software, assuming that we had access to a server with PHP
                      and MySQL support. I would recommend the software that drives the
                      fabulous wikipedia:

                      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>

                      The software is free and open source, and can be found here:

                      <http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/>

                      More information on Wiki software and how it works can be found here:

                      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Overview_FAQ>

                      I unfortunately don't have the time to help out. Even though Wiki's are
                      "collaborative" it still requires some dedicated people to work as
                      editors and moderators. Also, even though installing the software is
                      fairly straight forward, it will take some work to modify the default
                      installation to suit our needs. Not a lot of work, but more than what I
                      can spare right now. However, I'm sure that if someone on the list is
                      at a university with a helpful computer center, someone there could
                      help install the software for us and then some volunteers from the list
                      could start putting up content fairly quickly.

                      Cheers,

                      kerim

                      > --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Marian Sloboda" <maslo@z...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> Dear list members,
                      >>
                      >> many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not
                      > want
                      >> to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
                      >> votes to my address maslo@z... (or to code-switching-
                      >> owner@yahoogroups.com).
                      >>
                      >> Thank you,
                      >> best,
                      >> Marian Sloboda
                    • Marian Sloboda
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 5 3:33 PM
                        Kerim,
                        thanks very much. I absolutely agree with you. I'll close the poll and hope
                        someone among us will have the time to spend on wiki, which seems more viable
                        than a regular webpage, doesn't it?

                        Concerning the poll, there are 20 (on www) + 7 (mailed to me) votes 'pro'
                        (interestingly 4 'not worth doing'). Although there are 461 list members, if we
                        take into account there might be CS list members who were for but didn't want to
                        vote + some university students and people unaware of the CS Forum but welcoming
                        CS info, 27 in a few days is a fine number I think.

                        [Kerim, it has surprised me that there was such positive reaction - I thought
                        there would be nearly zero interest: the CS Forum hasn't been much lively for
                        last year or two (has it?); messages with the CS content may be going by private
                        mail; long-time CS experts have done without a webpage... If there hadn't been
                        interest in the webpage, the effort invested to it might have been wasted. Now I
                        think it wouldn't. I was maybe too pesimistic.]

                        Please, those who can, try asking at their institutions as regards wiki or
                        webpage (I'll do). Hope it will work. Thank you for voting.

                        Best,
                        Marian