arabic loans in spanish

  • petek kurtboke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
      Buon anno a tutti!

      I'm looking for work on Arabic loans in Spanish (I assume there
      is some).

      Thanks

      Petek
    • Glenmtz505@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
        There is quite a bit of work. A good starting point would be:

        pp. 217-224 of Penny's _A History of the Spanish Language_ (Cambridge) and
        Chapter 5 of Lapesa's _Historia de la lengua española_ (Gredos). The
        bibliography in the latter is very complete and worth scrutinizing.

        Glenn

        Glenn A. Martinez
        Assistant Professor of Spanish
        Department of Modern Languages
        The University of Texas at Brownsville
        80 Fort Brown
        Brownsville, TX 78520
      • Talia Bugel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
          At 21:59 09/01/01 -0000, you wrote:

          >Buon anno a tutti!
          >
          >I'm looking for work on Arabic loans in Spanish (I assume there
          >is some).
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Petek

          Hi, Petek!

          I know someone from another list, who is a Spanish speaking linguist and
          works with semitic languages. She might help you with what you need. Her
          name is Luisa Fernanda and her e-mail address is:

          luisafer@...

          You're welcome. Talia

          >Web page: http//www.egroups.com/group/code-switching

        • James L. Fidelholtz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
            On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, petek kurtboke wrote:

            >I'm looking for work on Arabic loans in Spanish (I assume there
            >is some).

            Dear Petek:
            Any historical grammar of Spanish will have at least something
            on Arabic loans. If you have any trouble finding one, you could start
            with any Spanish dictionary, especially an etymological one (or the RAE
            dictionary), and just look up all the words beginning with 'al-', which
            are nearly all from Arabic (al is the definite article in Arabic, and
            was usually incorporated into the word when it was borrowed into
            Spanish).
            Jim

            --
            James L. Fidelholtz e-mail: jfidel@...
            Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje tel.: +(52-2)229-5500 x5705
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2001
              You may find moaxaja/jarcha poetry interesting, as it is written in a
              Arabic/Spanish variety called Mozárabe.

              Here's a sample:
              http://faculty.washington.edu/petersen/480/GG14long.htm

              Here's another, from
              http://personal.redestb.es/pcampos/clasicas.htm#LAS_JARCHAS

              LAS JARCHAS (Siglos XI y XII)

              ¿Que fareyo o qué serád de mibi?
              ¡Habibi,
              non te tolgas de mibi!
              Vayse meu corachón de mib:
              ya Rab, ¿si se me tornarád?
              ¡Tan mal meu doler li-l-habib!
              Enfermo yed, ¿cuánd sanarád?
              Qué faré, mamma?
              Meu-l-habib est' ad yana.
              Si me quereses,
              ya uomne bono,
              si me quereses,
              darasme uno.

              ~Julianne Hammink

              --- In code-switching@egroups.com, "petek kurtboke" <pkurtboke@h...>
              wrote:
              > Buon anno a tutti!
              >
              > I'm looking for work on Arabic loans in Spanish (I assume there
              > is some).
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Petek
            • petek kurtboke
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 14, 2001
                Thanks for all the messages some sent directly to me and some to the
                list re my query about arabic loans in spanish. I'm sorry I didn't
                specify what exactly I had in mind but as my approach to code-
                switching makes it clear, I wouldn't be looking for publications
                listing individual items as such. Given my innate weakness for
                relationships of collocational and colligational kind, it goes
                without saying that I'm after units of meaning. As Turkish has
                arabic loans as well, and quite a few used with delexical verbs such
                as OL- (allegedly 'be' or 'become'), I look for similar combinations
                in spanish (ser/estar + arabic loan ?) or any other language for that
                matter with arabic loans.

                Sorry for my telegraphicity earlier but one gets paranoid about
                passing on ideas for free in our field.

                Thanks again
                Petek