[code-switching] Introduction

  • Celso Alvarez Caccamo
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 27, 2000
      Hello,

      My name is Celso Alvarez Cáccamo (or Alvarez-Cáccamo in the
      Anglo style). I am from Galiza, in northwest Spain. One of
      my research interests is so-called "code-switching" as a
      device to recontextualize talk. In this sense, some of my
      work has dealt with Galizan-Portuguese/Spanish conversation.

      If I use quotation marks over "code-switching" is because
      I believe that the notion -- or host of them -- is still far
      from having a commonly accepted sense. To me, much of
      code-switching research has overemphasized the structural
      aspects over the interactional ones, based
      on a questionable identification between "codes" and
      linguistic varieties. I think some current lines of research
      (grammatical, anthropological, semiotic) are hinting at
      questioning seriously the scope of "code-switching" and its
      relations with other (supposedly interlingual) phenomena and
      with the notion of grammar itself. However, I am not sure where
      this convergence will lead to, and perhaps this forum will
      help us understand this question better. Since we probably
      come from very different disciplinary perspectives, we
      perhaps need to first find a common ground as to what is
      theoretically significant in so-called "code-switching".
      For example, some ascribe to a lexicalized version of the
      term, "codeswitching", and this choice may even have the
      theoretical import of attempting to delimit the phenomenon
      as a clearly identifiable object.

      Celso Alvarez Cáccamo Tel. +34 981 167000 ext. 1888
      Linguística Geral, Faculdade de Filologia FAX +34 981 167151
      Universidade da Corunha lxalvarz@...
      15071 A Corunha, Galiza (Espanha) http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac/
    • Cz. Liebert
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 11, 2012
        Hi,

        Let me introduce myself. I’m Czeslaw, 33, a father of bilingual
        children: Tony (almost 3) and Maja (6). Recently started working on BA
        thesis entitled (just a draft title): Code switching patterns among
        Polish/English bilinguals: case study of 3 years old and 6 years old
        siblings. Am hoping to find many interesting materials and topics in
        the group's archive and also to get in touch with other people
        interested in that phenomenon.

        Czeslaw A. Liebert