Re: [code-switching] Seeking help with some literature

  • Jakob Cromdal
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi,
      You will find a recent collection of texts on code-switching in a volume
      edited by Peter Auer (1998). Moreover, Joseph Gafaranga discusses issues of
      code-switching, reporting from a trilingual setting involving
      Kinyarwanda/French/English. Finally, there's John Gumperz' classic work on
      discourse strategies in multilingual settings. Hope this helps.
      Best wishes,
      Jakob

      Auer, P. (1998). (ed). Code-switching in conversation: Language,
      interaction and identity. Londin: Routledge.

      Gafaranga, J. (1999). Language choice as a significant aspect of talk
      organization: The orderliness of language alternation. TEXT, 19, 201-225.

      Gumperz, J. (1982). Discourse strategies. Cambridge: CambridgeUniversity
      Press.

      ----

      At 20:08 2000-10-31 -0000, you wrote:
      >Hi
      >My name is Ndeye Gnin, I am a new member of the group. I am doing my
      >master in Teaching English as a Second language at St cloud State
      >University in Minnesota. I am currently working on a thesis about
      >code- switching in a Multilingual couple. The parcipants are my
      >husband and I . I have already collected data and have started looking
      >at some literature. I would like somebody to help me find some books
      >that deal with multilingualism or trilingualism As a matter of fact I
      >am looking at Code switching between three languages, which are
      >French, English and Wolof( common language spoken in Senegal a country
      >in West Africa) I would appreciate it if any of you cold help me with
      >that.
      >Thank you very much
      >I am looking forward to hearing from you
      >
      >Ndeye Gning

      >Web page: http//www.egroups.com/group/code-switching

      *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
      Jakob Cromdal tel: +46 13 282907
      Dept. of Child Studies fax: +46 13 282900
      Linkoping University
      581 83 LINKOPING email: jakcr@...
      SWEDEN www.tema.liu.se/tema-b/
      *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    • Malini Ramsay
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
        Dear Ndeye

        The one reference that quickly comes to mind is

        Bilingualism (2ND ED) by Romaine, S. 1995

        Regards
        Malini Ramsay-Brijball
        UDW
        SA

        On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 ndeyegning@... wrote:

        > Hi
        > My name is Ndeye Gnin, I am a new member of the group. I am doing my
        > master in Teaching English as a Second language at St cloud State
        > University in Minnesota. I am currently working on a thesis about
        > code- switching in a Multilingual couple. The parcipants are my
        > husband and I . I have already collected data and have started looking
        > at some literature. I would like somebody to help me find some books
        > that deal with multilingualism or trilingualism As a matter of fact I
        > am looking at Code switching between three languages, which are
        > French, English and Wolof( common language spoken in Senegal a country
        > in West Africa) I would appreciate it if any of you cold help me with
        > that.
        > Thank you very much
        > I am looking forward to hearing from you
        >
        > Ndeye Gning

        > Web page: http//www.egroups.com/group/code-switching

      • Jim Wilce
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
          Dear Sophy:

          Could you please post to the list the complete citation/reference for the
          paper by Winford?
          --
          Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
          Anthropology Department

          fax 520/523-9135
          office ph. 520/523-2729
          email jim.wilce@...
          http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
          Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
          Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3. Call OUP NY office at 800/334-4249.
        • Ane Ortega
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2000
            Ndeye

            As well as Romaine's excellent book, do you know these?

            - Hammers, J.F & Blanc M.H.A (2000), Bilinguality and Bilingualism, 2nd
            edn., Cambridge University Press. (overview with emphasis on the
            pshychological and social-pshychological issues around bilingualism)
            - Li Wei ed. (2000) The Bilingualism Reader, Routledge. (a good reader with
            obligatory reading).
            - Milroy, L & Muysken, P (eds.) (1995), One Speaker, Two languages>
            Cross-disciplinary perspectives on code-switching, Cambridge University
            Press.
            - Appel, R & Muysken, P. (1987), Language Contact and Bilingualism, Arnold.
            - Grosjean, F (1982), Life with Two Languages: An Introduction to
            Bilingualis, Harvard University Press (not new but still useful as an
            overview).

            Ane
            > My name is Ndeye Gnin, I am a new member of the group. I am doing my
            > master in Teaching English as a Second language at St cloud State
            > University in Minnesota. I am currently working on a thesis about
            > code- switching in a Multilingual couple. The parcipants are my
            > husband and I . I have already collected data and have started looking
            > at some literature. I would like somebody to help me find some books
            > that deal with multilingualism or trilingualism As a matter of fact I
            > am looking at Code switching between three languages, which are
            > French, English and Wolof( common language spoken in Senegal a country
            > in West Africa) I would appreciate it if any of you cold help me with
            > that.
            > Thank you very much
            > I am looking forward to hearing from you
            >
            > Ndeye Gning

            > Web page: http//www.egroups.com/group/code-switching
          • ndeye gning
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2000
              Ane,
              Thank you so much for your help. I know about those . I am trying to get
              hold of these books through an interlibrary loan.
              Right now I have slown down with the thesis to do my final paper for my
              classes.
              Thanks once again

              http://profiles.msn.com