grammatical gender in CS

  • Florencia Franceschina
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
      Dear CS list members

      My name is Florencia Franceschina and I'm working on my PhD thesis at the
      University of Essex, UK. My area of research is the acquisition of L2
      grammatical gender and I would like to know if anybody knows of any studies
      of how native speakers of Spanish (or any other language which has
      grammatical gender) use grammatical gender in the context of CS as opposed
      to non-native speakers of the matrix language.

      I have observed in my data (informal conversations between Spanish native
      and non-native speakers) that the Spanish native speakers tend to produce CS
      sentences like the following:

      (1) Estos shoes están nuevitos.
      These(masc) shoes are new(masc).

      (2) Tuvimos una worksheet de deberes.
      We had a(fem) worksheet for homework.

      In examples like the ones above, determiners and adjectives take the gender
      agreement that would be triggered by the Spanish counterpart of the English
      noun used. By contrast, I have not found evidence of this sort of agreement
      between determiners/adjectives and the CS noun in L1 English speakers of
      Spanish.

      I would be grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of any
      research done in this area.

      Thank you in advance.

      Florencia Franceschina
    • ndeye gning
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2001
        Hi,
        My name is Ndeye Gning I am a member. I have been following the discussions
        but I was most of the time very busy to particiapate in some of them. I was
        wondering if any one can help my find some French literature about
        trilingualism. I would apprciate your help.
        Thank you very much
        Ndeye