I subscribe

  • Jan.Blommaert@rug.ac.be
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2000
      Hi Celso, Hi members of this list,

      Having subscribed to this list, I should present myself. I am
      currently a professor of African Linguistics and Sociolinguistics at
      Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium. Consider me a linguistic
      anthropologist leaning towards sociolinguistics and pragmatics. I
      have done a bit of work on macro-issues such as language planning and
      language ideologies in Africa (Tanzania mainly)and Europe. Literacy
      is also one of my points of interest, especially grassroots literacy
      from Central-Africa. In the field of code-switching, I have written
      on code-switching among Tanzanian intellectuals as well as among
      expatriate Congolese in Belgium. Recently, I have been involved in
      research on narratives from African asylum seekers in Belgium
      (together with a PhD student of mine, Katrijn Maryns) and the first
      papers are due out soon (with some stuff on mixing and shifting).

      There are two websites on which you can find further info: our own
      departmental website http://africana.rug.ac.be and the website of an
      international research group coordinated by me, called 'Language,
      Power and Identity': http://bank.rug.ac.be/lpi.

      I'm looking forward to good discussions on this list.

      jan Blommaert