hello!

  • Yuhana Yusof
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2000
      Dear Friends,
      I'm Kasyfirah from Malaysia. My particular interest is in the practice of
      code-switching among the middle-class professional Malay women in Malaysia.
      What caught me by surprise was the amount of code-switching (from Malay to
      English) by these women is more when they are communicating through
      computer-mediated communication (e-mail or chat) than through spoken
      interaction. I would appreciate some views or comments on this.

      Kasyfirah.

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Staffan Klintborg
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2000
        something for you?

        Staffan

      • imban@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2001
          Dear friends,
          i'm a new member. in 1997 i carried out a research about
          code-switching among Malay women. some of my discoveries are quite
          interesting. i found that some of my subjects used more bits of
          English in their conversations than in their written discourse. i find
          this to be quite amazing because these women code-switched to English
          when discussing issues which are considered taboo or unthinkable for a
          malay woman to express in polite society.
        • qsinka
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005
            hi, my name is Marta, I'am new here and it's my first post!
            I'm interested in code switching because actually I'm about to write
            an essay in this subject.
            I'm a student of linguistic and sociology at one of the german
            universities, which is situated at the border between Poland and
            Germany. This particular location causes as many intercultural
            conflicts as intercultural approaches, especially because of the
            variety of nationalities present on the university campus.
            I would like to make an research on a group of polish students who
            are using many inassimilated german words while talking in polish. I
            hope you understand what I mean - there is a german university with
            lectures given only in german and a large group of polish students
            talking "germanised" polish between themselves.
            I classified this as code-switching phenomenon, I already read some
            books about bilinguals, borrowings etc. and actually the problem is
            that my promoting teacher thinks hat I'am wrong. In his opinion
            these are only temporary borrowingswhich have nothing to do with
            code-switching. What do you think about that?
            Is the code-switching phenomenon present only in stricte bilingual
            milieus (those students are bilingual only in some part, they are
            using german language in some official areas, they speak polish in
            their privacy)?
            Does code-switching occures when somebody uses a whole phrase or
            maybe aready one word is enough?
            Thanks already for all messages,
            see you soon!
            m.