  • vborey@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2000
      Hello! While I'm new to the list, I'm excited to have found it and lookfo=
      rward to some great discussions. My name is Valerie Borey and I'm arecent gr=
      aduate (of anthropology) with a strong interest (but alimited background) in=
      anthropological linguistics. I come somewhat perplexed from the summer on =
      the topic ofcode-switching, having worked as a Norwegian teacher in an immer=
      sionprogram for the first time. Although an immersion program, I noticedthat=
      a great deal of English was spoken amongst the non-native staffmembers (reg=
      ardless of ability) and that their choice of languageoften appeared to be de=
      termined by their status relative to that ofthe person to whom they were spe=
      aking. English was generally spokento those of higher rank, and Norwegian to=
      those of lower rank. NativeNorwegians, of course, were nearer the top of th=
      e hierarchy, goingdown to credit teachers, counselors, junior counselors, an=
      d finallykitchen staff. While it would appear that this was the result of ad=
      esire to "not look stupid" in front of people of higher languageproficiency,=
      I'm not entirely sure that this was the case, as we allhad ample opportunit=
      y to analyze one another's abilities in othercontexts. Those who had acquire=
      d partial knowledge of a dialectseemed more likely to speak Norwegian with t=
      heir peers than those whohad learned straight (what I had always been taught=
      was "proper")bokmål Norwegian (strange for me, as I grew up speaking a Sout=
      herndialect and have been trying for years to "clean up" my language).What d=
      o you all think of the situation and have you any suggestionsfor overcoming =
      this obstacle to the program's mission of immersion? I'm also curious if a=
      ny of you know of any articles related tosame-language code-switching amongs=
      t people who have undergonestrokes, have Alzheimer's, or been aflicted by so=
      me other kindneurological trauma. Does such trauma alter their code-switchin=
      gbehavior or is it generally intact (more or less), regardless of thearea af=
      fected?Thanks (and nice to me
    • Jim Wilce
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2000
        same-lg. CS but at least CS among adults with aphasia and dementia:

        Hyltenstam, Kenneth
        1995 The code-switching behaviour of adults with language
        disorders--with special reference to aphasia and dementia. In One
        speaker, two languages: Cross-disciplinary perspectives on
        code-switching. L. Milroy and P. Muysken, eds. Pp. 302-343.
        Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

        Best,
        Jim
        --
        Jim Wilce
        Assistant Professor of Anthropology

        fax 520/523-9135
        office ph. 520/523-2729
        email jim.wilce@...
        http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
        Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
        Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3)
        http://www.nau.edu/asian

      • indahchen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
          I want to know more about the teacher's function of code-switching in
          classroom.
          I want to know what are the functions of code-switching is used the
          teacher in classroom?
          I wish I can get many informations about teacher's function of code-
          switching in classroom.
          Thank you very much.
        • olcay sert
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2006
            I have an article on the functions of code-switching in elt classrooms. the link is: http://iteslj.org/Articles/Sert-CodeSwitching.html.

            indahchen <indahchen@...> wrote:
            I want to know more about the teacher's function of code-switching in
            classroom.
            I want to know what are the functions of code-switching is used the
            teacher in classroom?
            I wish I can get many informations about teacher's function of code-
            switching in classroom.
            Thank you very much.

            Online social science degree Social science course Social science degree Social science education Bachelor of social science Social science major

            Linguist/ELT Instructor
            Olcay SERT