Hello Code-Switching Group!

  • bprince@mail.frognet.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hello to the Group!
      I have joined the group and will be interested in your exchanges.
      I am currently a dean at Hocking College, a two-year technical
      college in the southeast, Appalachian region of Ohio. But I am
      shifting to a new career, to make full use of my communication
      degree and my interests in research and educational development at
      all levels and in other settings. Since 1996, I have been fortunate to
      have been part of several African education development and
      research projects in Namibia, South Africa, Uganda and Lesotho.
      I visited rural schools, interviewed teachers,
      observed kids learning, often in the simplest, most traditional
      of classrooms. This has rekindled my interest in understanding
      core communication processes, in education and other contexts, and
      looking at the ways language and interpersonal actions are used by
      groups to construct symbolic representations of highly personal or
      abstract concepts, or create linguistic "short-cuts" for more complex
      concepts. Certain uses of metaphor by groups I've observed do this.
      So, I am curious to learn from your work and discussions how
      code-switching fits into this picture. Thanks for your ideas in advance!

      Bonnie Prince
    • Shigeko Okamoto
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
        Thank you for the e-card of Tanabata. That was cute.
        As I said, both Per and I are prepared for the humidity and heat.
        So please don't worry. I'm more afraid of Kuu.
        See you soon!
        Shigeko