Another new member.

  • Jenni Shi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2000
      Hi, all :)

      I'm working on code-switching via computer-mediated communication
      (CMC). The language pair in which I'm interested are Mandarin Chinese
      and English. I'd like to investigate whether the patterns of code-
      switching in CMC are similar to those existing in face-to-face (FTF)
      bilingual interactions.

      Any discussions and comments towards the subject will be most welcome.

      Cheers.

      Best regards,

      Jenni
    • maria eugenia trillo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
        Jenni and other members:

        Allow me to introduce myself to the group as well as respond to your
        e-mail. My name is Maria Eugenia Trillo, originally from El Paso,
        Texas. I'm working on a large Spanish-English corpus and plan to
        analyze the code-switches contained therein for my disseertation.

        As to your question, although I am not familiar with the literature on
        this aspect of CS, from an experiential basis, I find that
        code-switching comes almost as quickly and naturally as a face-to-face
        interaction--as long as the other person is from the same community of
        CSers. Otherwise, it becomes stilted.

        Thanks for an interesting question.
        maria e.trillo
        mtrillo@...