Re: Structuralist vs. poststructuralists

  • Leonie Kotze
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2012
      Dear All,

      Thank you so much for the speedy reply. In answer to Michael's question
      about what exactly I know, I have to admit (blush, blush) that I do not have
      in-depth knowledge of Saussure and no knowledge of Barthes, Eco, Strauss, or
      Derrida. I know about them, but not the content of their work. I seems
      that I will have to do some serious reading within the next few days!

      My understanding of structuralist vs. poststructuralist approach re identity
      is based on discussions between myself and my supervisor and
      'poststructuralists'' work such as Cameron, Milani, Pavlenko & Blackledge,
      Irvine & Gal, Stroud and Harvey (amongst others). My understanding is that
      within a pre-poststructuralist approach (Thanks Kit) language and id were
      viewed as static entities, boundaries between lanauges were clear', identity
      was viewed as relatively simplistic and linked (to a great extend) to
      language, e.g. if you speak Afrikaans you are an Afrikaner. Within this
      view language was seen to be an expression of id and it 'reflected' society.
      Poststructuralists say no, language itself is a social construct, identity
      is complex and is constructed and language plays a central role in the
      construction of (social) identity. Language boundaries are not clear-cut
      and language and identity should be studied taking the social context and
      history in which the particular identity is studied into consideration.

      That is what I know in a nut-shell. Thank you sooooooooo much for the
      references, you will find me behind my desk reading for the next couple of
      days. (Smiley)

      Warm regards

      Leoni Kotze, South Africa