Re: [code-switching] Re: Structuralist vs poststructuralists

  • Woolard, Kathryn
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2012
      Let me give one very practical recommendation: for a useful review of
      (implicitly) post-structuralist approaches to social identity and the role
      of language therein (that begins with Jakobsonian structuralist visions of
      sameness/difference) see M. Bucholtz and K. Hall, "Language and
      Identity", in A. Duranti, A. 2004, A Companion to Linguistic
      Anthropology. Blackwell.

      I don't know of anything that specifically compares structuralist to
      poststructalist approaches to social identity. For that matter, I'm not
      sure what a structuralist approach to social identity is, since many
      people working on identity in the pre-post-structuralist period didn't
      conceive of themselves that way. I suppose that F. Barth's classic and
      still very instructive 1969 Introduction to Ethnic Groups and Boundaries
      might be considered structuralist in a Saussurean sense, because of its
      emphasis on boundaries and contrast, rather than internal content of
      semantic categories, although Barth worked under the label of
      transactionalism that contrasted with structural-functional analyses in
      anthropology....go figure.

      Kit Woolard

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
        Maybe you can find some useful reference in this volume:

        De Fina, A., Schiffrin, D. & Bamberg, M. (eds.) (2006), "Discourse and Identity", Cambridge, Cambridge University Press

        http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item1171453/?site_locale=en_GB

        --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Kotze" <leoni@...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        > Help please! Does anyone know whether current literature is available which
        > compares/discusses the differences between a structuralist and a
        > poststructuralist view re social identity? I need this rather urgently and
        > would appreciate any help.>
        > Regards
        Leoni Kotze, South Africa