Re: Structuralist vs poststructuralists

  • Dimitri h
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2012
      Hi Leoni

      Yes there is literature

      but .... the structuralist / post structuralist debate is incredibly complex and you can't just read a book. Hence it's called a debate, as it has been ongoing for 100 years. You really have to start with Saussurean semiotics, then go to Barthes (Roland), Eco, Strauss, Derrida, and so forth. And then, you have to 'structure' or formulate your own definitions.

      I teach critical theory in linguistics and hence draw from a lot of this work.

      However, before I begin to help you, I have to ask you, how much do you know? What do you know?

      Michael (superhazz@...)

      --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Kotze" <leoni@...> wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >

      > Help please! Does anyone know whether current literature is available which
      > compares/discusses the differences between a structuralist and a
      > poststructuralist view re social identity? I need this rather urgently and
      > would appreciate any help.
      >

      > Regards
      >
      > Leoni Kotze, South Africa

    • Woolard, Kathryn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2012
        Let me give one very practical recommendation: for a useful review of
        (implicitly) post-structuralist approaches to social identity and the role
        of language therein (that begins with Jakobsonian structuralist visions of
        sameness/difference) see M. Bucholtz and K. Hall, "Language and
        Identity", in A. Duranti, A. 2004, A Companion to Linguistic
        Anthropology. Blackwell.

        I don't know of anything that specifically compares structuralist to
        poststructalist approaches to social identity. For that matter, I'm not
        sure what a structuralist approach to social identity is, since many
        people working on identity in the pre-post-structuralist period didn't
        conceive of themselves that way. I suppose that F. Barth's classic and
        still very instructive 1969 Introduction to Ethnic Groups and Boundaries
        might be considered structuralist in a Saussurean sense, because of its
        emphasis on boundaries and contrast, rather than internal content of
        semantic categories, although Barth worked under the label of
        transactionalism that contrasted with structural-functional analyses in
        anthropology....go figure.

        Kit Woolard

        >but .... the structuralist / post structuralist debate is incredibly
        >complex and you can't just read a book. Hence it's called a debate, as it
        >has been ongoing for 100 years. You really have to start with Saussurean
        >semiotics, then go to Barthes (Roland), Eco, Strauss, Derrida, and so
        >forth. And then, you have to 'structure' or formulate your own
        >definitions.
        >
        >I teach critical theory in linguistics and hence draw from a lot of this
        >work.
        >
        >However, before I begin to help you, I have to ask you, how much do you
        >know? What do you know?
        >
        >Michael (superhazz@...)
        >
        >--- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Kotze" <leoni@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Dear All,
        >>

        >> Help please! Does anyone know whether current literature is available
        >>which
        >> compares/discusses the differences between a structuralist and a
        >> poststructuralist view re social identity? I need this rather urgently
        >>and
        >> would appreciate any help.
        >>

        >> Regards
        >>
        >> Leoni Kotze, South Africa

      • Sergio Pasquandrea
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
          Maybe you can find some useful reference in this volume:

          De Fina, A., Schiffrin, D. & Bamberg, M. (eds.) (2006), "Discourse and Identity", Cambridge, Cambridge University Press

          http://www.cambridge.org/gb/knowledge/isbn/item1171453/?site_locale=en_GB

          --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Kotze" <leoni@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          > Help please! Does anyone know whether current literature is available which
          > compares/discusses the differences between a structuralist and a
          > poststructuralist view re social identity? I need this rather urgently and
          > would appreciate any help.>
          > Regards
          Leoni Kotze, South Africa