RE: [code-switching] Re: Concerning Data Analysis Techniques used with electronic data

  • Sebba, Mark
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
      Thanks for endorsing my web page, Adam! I would recommend looking at Philipp Angermeyer's home page
      http://people.laps.yorku.ca/people.nsf/researcherprofile?readform&shortname=pangerme
      as he has done research on small ads - the publication below in particular might be of interest:

      Spelling Bilingualism: Script Choice in Russian American Classified Ads and Signage.

      Mark Sebba

      Dr Mark Sebba
      Reader in Sociolinguistics & Language Contact
      Department of Linguistics,
      Lancaster University
      Lancaster LA1 4YT Great Britain
      Tel. +44 1524 592453
      Fax +44 1524 843085
      e-mail: M.Sebba@...
      http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/profiles/Mark-Sebba/
      http://www.definite.talktalk.net/FoL/

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011
        Hi Walid,
         It would be best to start with your data. Try to see if anything jumps out--glaring patterns. From there you can select the best approach.

        I would say that if you wanted to do social motivations on codeswhitching on an advertisement, wouldn't the motivation be apparent already? Just my though on it.

        Thanks!

        FRANCIS P. MAGNO
        MA English Studies-Language
        University of the Philippines
        Diliman, Quezon City 1101

        "Anyone whose goal is 'something higher' must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves."
        Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being