Concerning Data Analysis Techniques used with electronic data

  • Walid
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
      Hi all,
      I'm doing my MA in written Code-Switching. The phenomenon is Code-Switching in Egyptian's both Arabic and English web Personal ads.
      When no previous study discussed this phenomenon, how can I analyze it? Shall I start with finding its motivations or just highlighting it?
      If my study discusses motivations of Code-Switching, Is verbal analysis technique suitable for analyzing such kind of written Code-Switching Data? If no, what data analysis technique shall be followed? And what are the models suitable for such analysis?

      Your help is appreciated
    • Adam Paliwala
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2011
        Hi Walid

        Have you read this?

        http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/bitstream/1842/3626/1/Dissertation.pdf

        It would seem like a good place to start, as San tackled similar questions to those you are considering.

        Also, if you can view Laura Callaghan's work on written Spanish/English switching it may be worthwhile, but she generally finds (in contrast to San's work on blogs) that Myers-Scotton's influential MLF model applies similarly to her corpus of written publications as to spoken language:
        http://benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=SiBil%2027

        Mark Sebba's homepage is always worth a visit, and he has considered the issues re. Written cs and suggested some approaches you may wish to consider:
        http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/staff/mark/SS16.pdf

        I hope this is some use: it's just where I would start...

        Peace and Love

        Adam Blaxter Paliwala
      • alia amir
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2011
          Conversation Analysis can be one way of analysing code-switching.

          /Alia Amir
          Doctoral candidate
          Linköping University
          Sweden

          ________________________________

        • indahchen@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2011
            Sent from my BlackBerry®
            powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
              Thanks for endorsing my web page, Adam! I would recommend looking at Philipp Angermeyer's home page
              http://people.laps.yorku.ca/people.nsf/researcherprofile?readform&shortname=pangerme
              as he has done research on small ads - the publication below in particular might be of interest:

              Spelling Bilingualism: Script Choice in Russian American Classified Ads and Signage.

              Mark Sebba

              Dr Mark Sebba
              Reader in Sociolinguistics & Language Contact
              Department of Linguistics,
              Lancaster University
              Lancaster LA1 4YT Great Britain
              Tel. +44 1524 592453
              Fax +44 1524 843085
              e-mail: M.Sebba@...
              http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/profiles/Mark-Sebba/
              http://www.definite.talktalk.net/FoL/

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011
                Hi Walid,
                 It would be best to start with your data. Try to see if anything jumps out--glaring patterns. From there you can select the best approach.

                I would say that if you wanted to do social motivations on codeswhitching on an advertisement, wouldn't the motivation be apparent already? Just my though on it.

                Thanks!

                FRANCIS P. MAGNO
                MA English Studies-Language
                University of the Philippines
                Diliman, Quezon City 1101

                "Anyone whose goal is 'something higher' must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves."
                Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being