Introducing hglundahl

  • Hans Georg
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14 6:33 AM
      hglundahl = Hans-Georg Lundahl

      I am a bit of a specimen of theme in my native language, Swedish: I switched from contemporary Swedish written code (reforms 1906 about spelling and 1950 about grammar) to the newer modern Swedish code of 18th and 19th C.

      It seems some Swedes I discuss with - far from all - claim this is pretentious and hinders udnerstanding.

      I compare this to the British and American standards of spelling.

      Though, if the British standard had included compulsory use of "thou"-related forms without them being used in speech, the comparison would have been better.

      The form really fallen out of use is the plural form of verbs.

      As in English, it coincides with the infinitive. In the present tense that is. Past tense coincides with singular in weak verbs, but stands on its own in strong ones, as in one present tense, äro=are. Some people have assumed when I used the plural form that I was using infinitive for lack of conjugation skills.