Re: [code-switching] Digest Number 741

  • Adam Paliwala
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2010
      Hi

      I am afraid I can't think of any easy sources for you (one reason why your supervisor probably realises this is a good dissertation topic), however: if you have some musical sources (go to the bands' gigs and talk to them/get their cds) I would start with a transcription of a set of songs involving code switching, making sure you include in your transcription notation the kind of musical characteristics of the context (eg. Rhythm, melodic tone) that you intuitively feel may be significant.
      Devising this transcription/coding scheme will be where you music training will be especially useful.
      I imagine your project will then approach the transcripts as texts, attempting to use existing cs theory to explain all the language behaviour. If you can demonstrate that the musical context explains/motivates some particular switching better than existing theories/models in the literature, and so confirm your intuition and proove your hypothesis, then you'll have done some great science!
      Cs in music and poetry is an established topic (see other threads on this forum), so good luck!

      All the best.

      Peace and Love

      Adam Blaxter Paliwala

    • mostari hind
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2010
        Hi,

        i do totally agree with Mr Paliwala on the steps to be followed to realise such kind of investigation , but here again, as any investigation Miss Ray should follow an approach  as in the study of the syntax or the pragmatics of CS , so here , after transcription of data ,is there any theory/approach that Ray can follow in order to link between cases of CS to music and which ones ? Becuase I believe Miss Ray cannot just build up her study on a series of personal guessings .   so, what do you think MR Paliwala  and others ?

        I welcome all reactions .

        alll the best
        Dr Mostari
        Algeria