Re: [code-switching] Code-Switching in Latina Song

  • Joan Albert Argenter Giralt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2010
      I followed the earlier discussion on CS and music with interest, actually starting (I think) with a question on CS in songs. The relationship between music and language goes beyond my competence, but I would like to add a new, historical, dimension to the topic. I suggest work dealing with CS in old sung genres in the past. I dealt with CS in Catalan Jewish practices in Medieval Ages, i.e. Catalan/Hebrew CS (and further issues).

      Profs. Davies and Bentahila, from Tangier, have been working for long on Arabic/French CS in modern Morocco. In a recent article they dealt with CS in rai lyrics and currently they work on the parallels between old Romance (Mozarabic)/Semitic (Hispano-Arabic) CS in the old Medieval kharjas and contemporary African rai and rap lyrics.

      These analyses are based on the old texts left behind by Semitic communities in the Iberian Peninsula, not on old musical scores.

      Joan A. Argenter (2001) �Code-switching and dialogism: Verbal practices among Catalan Jews in the Middle Ages�. Language in Society 30(3): 377-402.
      Eirlys E. Davies & Abdelali Bentahila (2008) �Code-switching as a poetic device: Examples from rai lyrics�. Language & Communication 28: 1-20.
      Eirlys E. Davies & Abdelali Bentahila (not yet published) �Code switching ancient and modern: From the medieval kharjas to contemporary songs".

      Other articles deal with current days songs, with no reference to historical material:

      A. Bentahila & E E Davies (2002) Language mixing in rai music: Localisation or
      globalisation ? Language and Communication 22, 187-207.
      E E Davies & A Bentahila (2006) Code switching and the globalisation of popular
      music: The case of North African rai and rap. Multilingua 25. 367-392.
      E E Davies & A Bentahila (2008) Translation and code switching in the lyrics of
      bilingual popular songs. The Translator 14(2): 247-272

      Good luck.
      Joan A. Argenter