Methodology please help!

  • Leonie Kotze
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2010
      Dear All

      I hope you can help me. I am (stil!!) busy with my English-Afrikaans CS
      study. My data is from the Sunday Times, a South African newspaper. I am
      going to use Irvin & Gal's (2000) notions of *iconisity*, *fractal
      recursivity* and *erasure* to analyze the date. My study is a semiotic one
      which investigates the meaning of Afrikaans, i.e. I am doing a Language
      Ideology study.

      My problem is that I do not know HOW to write the methodology section for my
      proposal. How does one describe in precise terms how you one is going to
      look for certain patters and associations in your data? Can anyone on the
      list refer me to a sociolinguistic study in which the methodology for
      analysing newspaper articles are set out?

      Pleas help! Tearing my hear out!

    • mostari hind
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2010
        Hi leonie ,
        Well, I am used to work on respondents speech but i think the methodology should be the same for written data  . First , you have to select which methodology : qualitative , quantitaive or a combination of the both .
        second, you should mention the equipement used to collect data , in oral , we have book note and recorder , questionnaires .
        Third , the procedures used in collecting data ( time, duration)
        fourth , the limitations and the problems encountered while  collecting data .

        Hope this helps and perhaps other professionals may add useful ideas .

        good luck
        Dr Mostari