code-switching and secondary plurilingualism

  • nadia khiati
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23 7:46 AM
      dear all,
      thank you for your responses. let me tell you more about my data. using conversation analysis,i actually work on video-recorded naturally occurring talk-in-interaction in which the participants are not members of a permanent speech community but represent 'ad hoc' groupings of people who have in common the same interests (doing business) and of course a common 'default language' which is English as a lingua franca. they have different L1s and in my subjects' case another language (LN) which is french. with their different levels of proficiency in the languages used- namely a rudimentary language of english (ELF is used only to meet practical work-related contigencies). they are so different from bilingual speakers who sometimes unconsciously code-switch. my subjects use code-switching as a reource to organise their interaction (e.g, they switch to their L1 or LN to create a private space, etc). ia m not interested in quantitative data. my qualitative
      analysis will consist of describing 'what was going on' there.
      so do you think that i have to narrow the scope when reviewing some lit on bilingual code-switching?
      best regards,
      nadia