CS & Music

  • Leoni Kotze
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2010
      Dear Celso and Maria

      Thank you for the very interesting information! I see that there is much
      work to be done in this field. We have not heard from Kelvin, who started
      this wonderful topic. Kelvin, has all of this changed things for you?

    • Andre Melo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2010
        This field, like all other schools of thought is unlimited, infinite in scope. It's a matter of pulling out an aspect and plausibly placing it on the discourse platform.

        Maria, that's a great observation of your Daughters' naturalizing speech patterns. It's an anecdote worth documenting.

        Leoni, I am very sure Kelvin has learned a lot from this discussion which enhances his linguistic thought. He may have not been able to express this himself as he has quite lots of official stuff to take care of at the University of Zambia. I know him personally, and know how how packed his schedule is. However, he will surely show up again in due course.

        Big up to all, let's keep those ideas flowing,

        Andre Joaquim Melo

        ________________________________
        Thank you for the very interesting information! I see that there is much
        work to be done in this field. We have not heard from Kelvin, who started
        this wonderful topic. Kelvin, has all of this changed things for you?

      • kelvin mambwe
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2010
          Dear All,

          Thank you for the insights you have brought forth to me. I am indeed grateful for the warm response that this topic has sparked. You might be wondering why I have been too quiet having started the topic, as Andre has put it, I have been so busy winding up my semester and besides, internet services this side of the globe can sometimes be  very frustrating.

          Colleagues, I have learned alot from this discussion especially from members such as Leoni and others that have background knowledge in music which I do not have. I am still conducting further research on this aspect and will soon be sharing the findings with everyone.

          Some of my preliminary findings are that codeswitching in music is used to reflect the multilingual nature of a scociety in which that music is craeted and that it is sometimes used for marketing purposes in trying to lure as many buyers as possible by including "major languages" in the switches compared to "minority languages". This is very common in Zambian contemporary music. It is rare to find "minority languages" used in the switches. The commonly used codes are English and the two lingua francas, namely, Bemba and Nyanja and to some extent Tonga and Lozi which are eqaully codes for the majority in the west and south parts of Zambia, respectively.

          I am yet to apply some of the insights I have got from this discussion, especially those to do with the interface between music and code swicthing or indeed between language and music.

          I will continue to share some more insights and your comments will always be appreciated.

          Kelvin

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
            Thanks Kelvin! Keep us posted on the progress of your findings. It sounds
            very interesting indeed, particularly in view of the fact that language is
            seen more and more as economic/political 'capital'.