Re: [code-switching] about the MLF model

  • mostari hind
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
      dear Dr Maria Eugenia Trillo ,
      What i am looking is exactly how many adject, adv, verbs, nouns, idioms your respondents used from Spanish to english and vice versa , under the MLF model .

      do you have this kind of data . I could not get access to your thesis . Give me the exact link or send it to me by attachmenet PLZ .

      All the best
      Dr Mostari
      Algeria

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 6, 2010
        Leoni, Celso et al,

        I agree with the exciting topic of prosodic elements used in code alternation and would like to share an anecdote. I wish I had had the foresight to record my babies when they were in the babbling stage. Since their father was an English speaker and I spoke Spanish to them, both girls would "sing" their different languages--in--formation, depending on who their audience was. If they were addressing their father, their babbling would be slower and their tone and pitch would be a lower key. When addressing me or my mother, also a Spanish native speaker, the girls would speed up and elevate their tone. So in a sense, the babies were
        "singing" a nascent English or Spanish.

        The prosodic elements are a frustrating element for second-language learners and some heritage speakers of Spanish who can't 'hear' the correct pronunciation, they say. In fact, it is what celso is referring to, I believe, that frustrates the non-native speaker of a language.

        Thank you for an interesting dialogue.

        --Maria Eugenia Trillo,