Re: code switching and pronouns

  • cdnilep
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2009
      You should probably check out the closed-class constraint (Joshi 1985), which suggests that pronouns cannot be involved in code switching. Also pay attention to the arguments against such constraint-based theories, such as Clyne 1987 or Bokamba 1989.

      Most of this older work concentrates on syntactic or morpho-syntactic structure and pays less attention to sociolinguistic or psycholinguistic factors, which are also important to consider.

      Bokamba, Eyamba G. 1989. Are there syntactic constraints on code-mixing? World Englishes, 8(3), 277-292.

      Clyne, Michael. 1987. Constraints on code-switching: how universal are they? Linguistics 25: 739-764.

      Joshi, Aravind. 1985. "How much context-sensitivity is necessary for assigning structural descriptions: tree adjoining grammars." In D. Dowty, L. Karttunen, and A. Zwicky (eds.) Natural Language Parsing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.