Re: [code-switching] book about CS (in Italian)

  • Sergio Pasquandrea
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28 3:52 PM
      Re: wheter to record or not, it basically depends on the aims of your
      research and the kind of approach you wish to use. E.g., for a
      Conversation Analytical approach as the one I used, audio- or
      video-recording is essential.

      The amount of material to be recorded is not easy to quantify, and also
      depends on your purpose and methodological choice. Just to give you an
      idea, I recorded approximately 8 hours of interaction in 5 Italian-American
      families, and I also relied on previous data collected by other
      researchers (13 hours of conversation in 7
      Italian-Australian families).

      We used two videocameras, placed in two opposite corners of the dining
      room, in order to grasp as much as possible of the setting (body
      positions, facial expressions, gestures, gaze, objects manipulation, etc.).

      Good luck for your work, and don't hesitate to write if you need any other advice.

      Regards

      Sergio

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hello Sergio,

        Thank you for your prompt reply.  I am going to talk to potential supervisors in London and see what they suggest.  I won' t be able to place videocameras ( people are quite inhibited and would feel self-conscious ) but I may consider recording and do a questionnaire as well..  It is a difficult task and I am not sure which direction I am going.  My major claim is that Tunsia is experiencing an identity crisis and code-switching is one of the facets of the cultural identity problems and I would like to put forward solutions to this. Code-switching in Tunisia is viewed with either inferiority or superiority and I would like it to be viewed as a normal speech pattern so that it won't increase the tug of war when it comes to identity.

        I am sorry but I am a novice in research but will probably send my research proposal to the code-switching group' members to comment on.

        Many thanks and take care.

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
          Dear Sergio
          I am sure your book would be interesting, both methodogolically and for its findings, to many people who unfortunately cant read the original. Have you published any related papers in English?

          Mark

          Dr Mark Sebba
          Reader in Sociolinguistics and Language Contact
          Department of Linguistics,
          Lancaster University
          Lancaster LA1 4YT
          Great Britain
          Tel. +44 1524 592453
          Fax +44 1524 843085
          e-mail: M.Sebba@...
          http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/profiles/Mark-Sebba/
          http://www.definite.talktalk.net/FoL/

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
            I have presented some excerpts last year, one in Georgetown University Roundtable (GURT) and the other in Sociolinguistics Symposium (SS17) in Amsterdam.
            I'm re-working the papers in order to submit them as articles, though I've not decided when and where exactly (I'm working on a different research project now, so I don't have much time for my CS studies).
            I'll keep you all updated.
            Regards
            Sergio Pasquandrea

            e-mail: M.Sebba@lancaster. ac.uk

[...]

            Web page: http//groups. yahoo.com/ group/code- switchingYahoo! Groups Links

          • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2009
              Sergio,

              Congratulations. I wouldn't say "unfortunately", though, but "Fortunately,
              the book is in Italian": it can be read by millions of speakers of Italian
              and (with a little effort) Spanish, Portuguese/Galizan, French or Catalan.
              Not a bad potential readership ;-).

              -celso
              Celso Alvarez Cáccamo