RE: [code-switching] Conferences & funding sources for code-switching researchers?

  • Sebba, Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2009
      I have some potential answers (from a British perspective) to the questions from James

      1) At which international conferences do code-switching researchers gather?

      The Sociolinguistics Symposium - the next is in September 2010
      http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/ss17/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=59

      The International Symposium on Bilingualism
      http://cms.let.uu.nl/isb7/
      The next is in July this year

      Both of these always have a number of papers on code-switching in various frameworks and well-known researchers in the area usually attend.

      2) Which funding bodies might offer funding for code-switching research?

      Obviously, it makes a difference where you are based. For researchers in Britain possible sources are the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Economic and Social Research Council (depending on the type of research); also European bodies like the European Science Foundation, which will fund cross-European collaborations. Various grants seem to be available to fund international collaborations, but I have not investigated the possibilities lately. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has.

      Mark

      Dr Mark Sebba
      Reader in Sociolinguistics & Language Contact
      Department of Linguistics,
      Lancaster University
      Lancaster LA1 4YT Great Britain
      Tel. +44 1524 592453
      Fax +44 1524 843085
      e-mail: M.Sebba@...
      http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/profiles/Mark-Sebba/
      http://web.onetel.com/~marksebba/index.htm

      A couple of practical questions, raised in the hope of provoking some responses:

      1) At which international conferences do code-switching researchers gather?

      2) Which funding bodies might offer funding for code-switching research?

      Salam sejahtera!