Hi Everyone

  • thierryroisin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2008
      Hello Everyone,

      My name is Thierry and I am currently studying for a Ma in applied
      linguistics at Birbeck (London university, UK).

      I am currently struggling to narrow down the focus of my MA and I
      would appreciate any feed-back you might have on the subject(s) below.

      I wanted to look at Relevance Theory and code-switching (Someone
      posted an item a long time ago ion this group but it didntt get any
      response).
      The only works,as far as I know, that has been done is from Chan B.
      and from Curco (both references can be found on
      http://www.ua.es/personal/francisco.yus/rt.html an excellent reference
      site on Relevance theory).

      I was wondering why not more has been done about this. After all,
      Relevance Theory could neatly explain the inferential processes
      triggered by code-switching if we consider code-switching as a
      "contextualization cue" like Gumperz does. Maybe it is the divergence
      in the methodological approach between sociolinguistics and Relevance
      theory. Maybe another problem, is that it looks like using Relevance
      Theory to look at code-switching you end up trying to second-guess the
      communicative intention of speakers.

      What do you think?

      On a different matter, does anyone know where i could get access to
      French-English CS data? Is there any data/corpus easily available?

      Thanks a lot for any feedback

      Thierry
    • mostari hind
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
        hi everybody ,
        while recording with my informants , I have met some problems among them that some of them spoke little and it was difficult to elicit data . also , sometimes , the quality of sound while recording was not good especially in open air places  , in addition to some respondents who did not respect the meeting time and came always late !

        and how about you ?
        if you have recorded like me , could you share with me the experience and tell me which problems you have encountered while recording , and what are the sollutions ?

        best regards
        Mostari