Re: [code-switching] Re: Discussion

  • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
      Hello,

      Just a thought about this discussion on "motivation" in language
      alternation and "choices". I wouldn't say that language usages are all
      automatic and subconscious. There are clearly cases of planned language
      choice. But "motivation" is a psychological notion (such as
      "accommodation") which asks about a 'Why', whereas discourse and
      conversation analysts ask about a conversational 'What for'. This 'What
      for' is not psychological, though, but discursive and interactional. And
      whereas we can claim that the What for (the conversational "orientation" or
      disposition to do this or that in terms of tasks at hand) also lies somehow
      in the speaker's mind (in the speaker's cognitive context about
      conversation itself, where else could it be?), one thing is to search for
      it as if it resided there prior to conversation and in the form of
      determining factors, and another thing is to *reach* this context and
      achieve its reconstruction after having examined discourse-in-itself.

      I think it's and old story, and the stance one takes depends on the
      explanatory power we assign (or prefer to assign, on the basis of
      specialization and other disciplinary routines) to Mind, to Discourse, or
      to Society, the three elements present, for example, in Teun A. Van Dijk's
      models of ideology, discourse, and context(s).

      -celso
      Celso Alvarez Cáccamo