Indonesia

  • prihantoro2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
      Dear All

      I read leoni's mail about code switching in south africa where there
      are many languages used in the daily conversation. It is the same case
      in my country, Indonesia. Our official language is Indonesian.
      However, every provinces have their own vernacular languages. One of
      the vernacular language that are largely spoken is Javanese. It is
      very interesting since Javanese has speech levels (Standard-Honorific).
      Now, consider the example of code switching. Ahmad, my friend, is not
      a javanese. The first time he went to traditional market, he bought
      something very expensive, let us say Rp. 150.000 or $ 15. He spoke to
      the salesperson Indonesian. One year after that, Ahmad began to be
      able to speak Javanese clearly, even in Honorific style. Then, he went
      to the same store, with the same salesperson, bought the same thing
      and the price get much cheaper! Rp.30.000 or only $3. After i
      confirmed him, he told me that he used Javanese in honorific style. So
      you see, Ahmad got advantage of doing code switching. Because when he
      used javanese, the salesperson will think that they are in similar
      group. As an analogy, for a boat ride in Sanur Bali, foerign tourists
      are charged more expensive than domestic ones. That was just the same
      cas as Ahmad's

      Prihantoro
    • Leoni Kotzé
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2008
        Thanks for your reply, Chad.

        I feel exactly the way you do about the Markedness Model.

        The problem with the motivation part, as you so aptly point out, is that we
        simply don’t know. It remains a problem.

        Back to the drawing board . . .

        Leoni Kotze

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        01:40

      • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
          Hello,

          Just a thought about this discussion on "motivation" in language
          alternation and "choices". I wouldn't say that language usages are all
          automatic and subconscious. There are clearly cases of planned language
          choice. But "motivation" is a psychological notion (such as
          "accommodation") which asks about a 'Why', whereas discourse and
          conversation analysts ask about a conversational 'What for'. This 'What
          for' is not psychological, though, but discursive and interactional. And
          whereas we can claim that the What for (the conversational "orientation" or
          disposition to do this or that in terms of tasks at hand) also lies somehow
          in the speaker's mind (in the speaker's cognitive context about
          conversation itself, where else could it be?), one thing is to search for
          it as if it resided there prior to conversation and in the form of
          determining factors, and another thing is to *reach* this context and
          achieve its reconstruction after having examined discourse-in-itself.

          I think it's and old story, and the stance one takes depends on the
          explanatory power we assign (or prefer to assign, on the basis of
          specialization and other disciplinary routines) to Mind, to Discourse, or
          to Society, the three elements present, for example, in Teun A. Van Dijk's
          models of ideology, discourse, and context(s).

          -celso
          Celso Alvarez Cáccamo