Spanish Linguistics - Lingustics in Spanish

  • carsten_otto
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi forum,

      I thought this might be the place for my query regarding "Doing Linguistics in Spanish".
      I am desperately looking for some textbooks on Linguistics in Spanish, especially a *good*
      introduction which covers all the basics from Phonology to Syntax and Semantics as well as
      an (*even better*) introduction to Sociolinguistics.
      Further, which textbooks can you recommend, with which did you have good experiences,
      e.g. preparing/teaching your class, etc.??

      Thank you very much in advance

      Cheers

      Carsten.
    • james L. fidelholtz
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2007
        Hi, Carsten,

        Sorry to delay so much answering you. For SocLing, I have had non-bad
        experiences with Rotaetxe's little book on it, although I don't cover
        everything, and cover a few things she doesn't. Her explanations are usually
        OK. (Well, what can you expect from a formalist [me] teaching SL?) I haven't
        checked them out yet, but you might try some of the Lincom texts on for size
        (I mean, for gen. ling., but maybe some socling stuff as well).

        Also, but apparently only in copies, there is a book I am using now in a
        masters program that I like for Descriptive Linguistics, published by the U.
        de Guadalajara, but apparently unavailable (published in about 2002). If
        you're interested, mail me back and I'll send you the 'ficha'.

        Jim

        --
        James L. Fidelholtz
        Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje