Re: [code-switching] Measuring code-switching intensiveness

  • basan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2007
      dear robert,
      you seem to be looking for the easiest way ever of
      'doing' code-switching, something about which many of
      us are working hard. i am not aware of any software
      which would suit your purpose but even if there is one
      don't you think it might mislead you in your analysis?
      particularly when there have been a number of studies
      done dealing with questions of code-switching and how
      it is distinguished from something like borrowing?
      from your mail i cannot guess too much about the work
      you are involved in and maybe code switching is just a
      very small part of it. but, since you do have it you
      might as well be true to it at least to some extent
      (pardon me for sounding like a moral police).
      otherwise, i think, many people run into the risk of
      taking code switching for granted where occurrences of
      even two words next to each other might be
      conveniently termed as code switching. a software
      program might just do that. or am i missing something?
      --- jriddles <jriddles@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am trying to measure the intensity of
      > code-switching as it occurs in
      > a class. I am not particular about how or where it
      > is used. I find
      > transcribing too tiresome. Would anyone know of a
      > software where I can
      > just demarcate the segments of CS occurrences, and
      > then calculate the
      > ratio from there?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Robert

    • Dolores Juarez
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2007
        Hello,
        My name is Dee and I'm going to do a reacher paper on code-switching and I was wondering if you could recommend any web-sites or journals. Thank you.

        --- jriddles <jriddles@yahoo. com> wrote:

        > Hello,

        > I am trying to measure the intensity of

        > code-switching as it occurs in

        > a class. I am not particular about how or where it

        > is used. I find

        > transcribing too tiresome. Would anyone know of a

        > software where I can

        > just demarcate the segments of CS occurrences, and

        > then calculate the

        > ratio from there?

        > Cheers,

        > Robert