Re: [code-switching] Bilinguals versus Trilinguals?

  • olcay sert
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007
      A good article to start with:
      · Murphy, S. (2003). Second language transfer during third language acquisition. Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics. 3 (2), 1-21. (available online)

      "Kerkhof, C.S." <C.S.Kerkhof@...> wrote:
      To whom it may concern:

      I am a 3rd year student at University College Utrecht in the Netherlands and I am majoring in psycholinguistics and neuroscience. Just recently I have started working on my research project, which is a prerequisite in order for me to graduate this semester. With the supervision of dr. Jacomine Nortier, I am trying to examine the differences in code-switching between bilinguals and trilinguals.
      Even though some definitions of code-switching capture the multilingual aspect (e.g. "a conscious or unconscious alternation between two or more systems), little research is conducted on trilinguals and their code-switching behaviour and literature is hard to find.

      I was hoping you could possibly give me some information on this specific topic, or references. It will be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you very much in advance.

      Kind regards,
      Christa Kerkhof

      Linguist/ELT Instructor