Bilinguals versus Trilinguals?

  • Kerkhof, C.S.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007
      To whom it may concern:

      I am a 3rd year student at University College Utrecht in the Netherlands and I am majoring in psycholinguistics and neuroscience. Just recently I have started working on my research project, which is a prerequisite in order for me to graduate this semester. With the supervision of dr. Jacomine Nortier, I am trying to examine the differences in code-switching between bilinguals and trilinguals.
      Even though some definitions of code-switching capture the multilingual aspect (e.g. "a conscious or unconscious alternation between two or more systems), little research is conducted on trilinguals and their code-switching behaviour and literature is hard to find.

      I was hoping you could possibly give me some information on this specific topic, or references. It will be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you very much in advance.

      Kind regards,
      Christa Kerkhof

    • olcay sert
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2007
        A good article to start with:
        · Murphy, S. (2003). Second language transfer during third language acquisition. Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics. 3 (2), 1-21. (available online)

        "Kerkhof, C.S." <C.S.Kerkhof@...> wrote:
[...]

        Linguist/ELT Instructor
        Olcay SERT