Re: [code-switching] Transcription notation for code choice

  • Kimberly Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      Font may be searchable, depending on your word processing software. In
      Microsoft
      Word, for example, under the "find" function you can click "more", then under
      "format", click "font", then choose bold, italic, etc. (To clear this
      afterwards, there is a "no formatting" button you can click instead.) Don't
      enter any text in the "find what" box, and you can search for all examples of
      that particular font style. This may vary somewhat depending on what
      version of
      MS Word you are using.

      Kimberly Jones
      East Asian Studies
      Second Language Acquisition and Teaching
      University of Arizona

      Quoting Kit Woolard <kwoolard@...>:

      > I'd like to hear what techniques people use for marking code choice or
      > codeswitching in a transcript in a way that is machine searchable (once
      > you've made the impossibly provisional decision about just what language the
      > element is in, of course) in a transcript. I'm looking for the least
      > disruptive to reading the transcript. Font/script variation is the most
      > visually accessible but as far as I know not searchable.
      >
      > Thanks for any suggestions.
      > Kit
    • noha Al-owedi
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
        Hello everyone

        It's me again

        Noha The MA student

        I'm wondering if you know references related to motivations behind CS within the same language (i.e., Styleswitching)

        My research project is anchored on the Markedness Model and its 5 maximes.

        the focus of my research is on asserting or rejecting rights and obligations dictated by social norms. this RO set is the major motive for switching between styles of Hijazi Arabic.

        I have Myers-Scotton book: Codes and Cosequences 1998.

        Any comments and recommendations.

        Best wishes From Jeddah