Re: [code-switching] references about CS and conflict management

  • Cashman Holly
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      Greetings, Sergio. I apologize for the delay in my
      response, but I wanted to pass on a few additional
      suggestions.

      Ashley Williams and I each have an article in the
      Journal of Pragmatics that touch on these topics, and
      I have a couble of articles that look at the topic of
      codeswitching and impoliteness in the negotiation of
      identity.

      Here is the information:

      Williams, Ashley. 2005. Fighting words and challenging
      expectations: language alternation and social roles in
      a family dispute. Journal of Pragmatics 37: 317-328.

      Cashman, Holly R. 2005. Identities at play: language
      preference and group membership in bilingual
      talk-in-interaction. Journal of Pragmatics 37 (3):
      301-315.

      Cashman, Holly R. 2006. Impoliteness in children’s
      interactions in a Spanish/English bilingual community
      of practice. Journal of Politeness Research 2(2):
      217-246.

      Cashman, Holly R. 2005. Aggravation and disagreement:
      a case study of a bilingual, cross-sex dispute.
      Southwest Journal of Linguistics 24(1).

      In addition, Ashley and I are co-editing a special
      issue of the journal Multilingua with the title
      "Accomplishing Identity in Bilingual Interaction".
      Although it won't be out until 2008, a few of the
      articles in the special issue will touch on the topics
      of disagreement and conflict.

      Best of luck with your research, and do not hesitate
      to contact me if you have any trouble accessing the
      aforementioned papers.

      Best,
      Holly Cashman

      Holly R. Cashman
      Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics
      Arizona State University
      Tempe, AZ 85287-0202
      Tel: (480) 965-4565
      Fax: (480) 965-0135

      --- sergio pasquandrea <sergiopasquandrea @ yahoo.it>
      wrote:

      > I’m looking for some reference about code-switching
      > and the management of conflict, disagreement,
      > arguments, etc., especially in informal settings.
      > I’m particularly interested in the way this kind of
      > phenomena relates with the displaying, ascription
      > and negotiation of ethnic identities.
      > I’m basically working with a CA framework, but any
      > kind of contribution would be welcome.
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > Sergio Pasquandrea
      > Ph.D. student
      > University for Foreigners, Perugia (Italy)

    • tom chen
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        the 1st time in this group; being a member here with
        all of you for quite a long time. it's wonderful to
        see so many fellow of the same inerest!
        my concern is the emotional support in cs.i first
        read about the pragmatic and sociological aspects of
        cs. later we see something in Halliday's work. mostly
        interpersonal.
        i need your help in the emotiomal fuctions and the
        latest related articles in the field.

        tom from Guilin China

        抢注雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件!
        http://cn.mail.yahoo.com