Re: [code-switching] references about CS and conflict management

  • jakob cromdal
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2006
      Hi Sergio,

      you might want to have a look at the work of Li
      Wei and Peter Auer, and some of my own stuff.
      also, there's some work by Polly Bjork-Willén
      forthcoming in the Journal of Pragmatics; you might want to keep an eye out.

      good luck!
      /jakob cromdal

      ----
      Auer, Peter. 1984. Bilingual Conversation. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
      Cromdal, J. (2001). Overlap in bilingual play:
      Some implications of code-switching for
      overlap resolution. Research on Language and
      Social Interaction, 34, 421-451.
      Cromdal, J. (2003). The creation and
      administration of social relations in bilingual group
      work. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 24, 56-75.
      Cromdal, J. (2004). Building bilingual
      oppositions: Code-switching in children’s disputes.
      Language in Society, 33, 33-58.
      Li Wei. 1994. Three Generations, Two Languages,
      One Family: Language Choice and
      Language Shift in a Chinese Community in
      Britain. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
      Li Wei. 1998. The ‘why’ and ‘how’ questions in
      the analysis of conversational code-
      switching. In Peter Auer (ed.) Code-switching in Conversation: Language,
      Interaction and Identity. London: Routledge. 156-176.

      At 13:00 2006-10-20, sergio pasquandrea wrote:

      >I’m looking for some reference about
      >code-switching and the management of conflict,
      >disagreement, arguments, etc., especially in
      >informal settings. I’m particularly interested
      >in the way this kind of phenomena relates with
      >the displaying, ascription and negotiation of ethnic identities.
      >I’m basically working with a CA framework, but
      >any kind of contribution would be welcome.
      >Thanks in advance
      >
      >Sergio Pasquandrea
      >Ph.D. student
      >University for Foreigners, Perugia (Italy)

      --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      Jakob Cromdal
      Reader in Child Studies
      Dept. of Child Studies
      Linkoping University
      581 83 LINKOPING
      Sweden
      Institutional homepage:
      http://www.liu.se/tema-b/ENGLISH/FACULTY/Cromdal%20Jakob.htm
      Personal homepage (not quite as boring):
      http://w1.009.telia.com/~u00901372/Cromdal/JC.htm
      --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      Politicians use sociological inquiries like drunkards use lampposts:
      they don't seek the light, they just need
      something to lean against. -Kinga Dunin
      --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

    • Cashman Holly
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
        Greetings, Sergio. I apologize for the delay in my
        response, but I wanted to pass on a few additional
        suggestions.

        Ashley Williams and I each have an article in the
        Journal of Pragmatics that touch on these topics, and
        I have a couble of articles that look at the topic of
        codeswitching and impoliteness in the negotiation of
        identity.

        Here is the information:

        Williams, Ashley. 2005. Fighting words and challenging
        expectations: language alternation and social roles in
        a family dispute. Journal of Pragmatics 37: 317-328.

        Cashman, Holly R. 2005. Identities at play: language
        preference and group membership in bilingual
        talk-in-interaction. Journal of Pragmatics 37 (3):
        301-315.

        Cashman, Holly R. 2006. Impoliteness in children’s
        interactions in a Spanish/English bilingual community
        of practice. Journal of Politeness Research 2(2):
        217-246.

        Cashman, Holly R. 2005. Aggravation and disagreement:
        a case study of a bilingual, cross-sex dispute.
        Southwest Journal of Linguistics 24(1).

        In addition, Ashley and I are co-editing a special
        issue of the journal Multilingua with the title
        "Accomplishing Identity in Bilingual Interaction".
        Although it won't be out until 2008, a few of the
        articles in the special issue will touch on the topics
        of disagreement and conflict.

        Best of luck with your research, and do not hesitate
        to contact me if you have any trouble accessing the
        aforementioned papers.

        Best,
        Holly Cashman

        Holly R. Cashman
        Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics
        Arizona State University
        Tempe, AZ 85287-0202
        Tel: (480) 965-4565
        Fax: (480) 965-0135

        --- sergio pasquandrea <sergiopasquandrea @ yahoo.it>
        wrote:

        > I’m looking for some reference about code-switching
        > and the management of conflict, disagreement,
        > arguments, etc., especially in informal settings.
        > I’m particularly interested in the way this kind of
        > phenomena relates with the displaying, ascription
        > and negotiation of ethnic identities.
        > I’m basically working with a CA framework, but any
        > kind of contribution would be welcome.
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Sergio Pasquandrea
        > Ph.D. student
        > University for Foreigners, Perugia (Italy)

      • tom chen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          the 1st time in this group; being a member here with
          all of you for quite a long time. it's wonderful to
          see so many fellow of the same inerest!
          my concern is the emotional support in cs.i first
          read about the pragmatic and sociological aspects of
          cs. later we see something in Halliday's work. mostly
          interpersonal.
          i need your help in the emotiomal fuctions and the
          latest related articles in the field.

          tom from Guilin China

          抢注雅虎免费邮箱-3.5G容量,20M附件!
          http://cn.mail.yahoo.com