Re: [code-switching] Written code-switching

  • Jacomine Nortier
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2000
      Reference:

      Timm, L.A. Code switching in WAR AND PEACE.
      In: M. Paradis (ed.) Aspects of Bilingualism, pages 302-315.
      Columbia: Hornbeam, 1978.

      Regards,
      Jacomine Nortier

      At 10:51 AM 5/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >Another item on written CS is Lenora Timm's "Codeswitching in War and
      >Peace" in one of the LACUS volumes from the mid 1970s. I can't get at the
      >precise reference now, since my office is in disarray from a recent move
      >and nothing is accessible, but it shouldn't be too hard to track down.
      >
      >Regards
      >Nancy Stenson

      Jacomine Nortier
      Coordinator TCULT
      (Talen & Culturen in het Utrechtse Lombok & Transvaal)
      Utrecht Institute of Linguistics - OTS
      Trans 10
      3512 JK Utrecht
      tel +31 30 253 6075, private +31 30 289 6708
      fax +31 30 253 6000

      http://www.let.uu.nl/~Jacomine.Nortier/personal/
    • petek kurtboke
      Message 2 of 13 , May 12, 2000
        Unfortunately written code-switching doesn't sell like the spoken
        code-switching and that's a pity. We tend to think that in migrant settings
        there's little writing taking place but there are all those community
        newspapers waiting to be exploited by cs researchers and they come in all
        sizes, shapes, languages, ideologies and so on!

        I may be wrong but written cs is more of a concern in EFL/ESL circles and it
        might be worth posting your message to the new list advertised recently. I'm
        sure most of our e-group members have seen it already but I paste it below
        just in case.

        Cheers

        Petek (I've got 'Peter' and 'Perek' from the list members so far and look
        forward to new versions!)

        --------------------------------
        From: barlow@...
        Subject: Corpora: New list: Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching

        A new discussion list CLLT (Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching) has
        been created for those interested in the use of corpora in language teaching
        and language learning.

        message of the form:

        sub CLLT Joe Bloggs

        Questions concerning the list should be sent to the owners Michael Barlow
        (barlow@...) or Stephanie Burdine (sburdine@...).
        Michael

      • Mirjam Broersma
        Message 3 of 13 , May 12, 2000
          Dear Mark,

          Another article on written CS is:
          Wenskus, O. (1995). Triggering und Einschaltung griechischer Formen in
          lateinischer Prosa. Indogermanische Forschungen, 100, 172-192.

          Mirjam.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 12, 2000
            Another interesting source for written cs is Thomas Mann's "Buddenbrooks"
            which begins, the very first line of the very first chapter, in Luebeck
            Plattdeutsch; there is also some French in the conversation that begins
            there, and there are other examples of cs and use of various dialects
            (probably mainly to stigmatize certain characters).

            And way back in the heyday of Sanskrit literature, Kalidasa's
            'Shakuntala' (a drama) had some characters c-switching with Prakrit(s).

            Hal Schiffman
          • Jim Wilce
            Message 5 of 13 , May 12, 2000
              Then there is Umberto Eco's novel, The Name of the Rose, which is full of
              written CS, tho' it represents the characters' oral CS.
              Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
              Anthropology Department
              Box 15200
              Northern Arizona University
              Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200

              fax 520/523-9135
              office ph. 520/523-2729
              email jim.wilce@...
              http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
              Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
              Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3. Call OUP NY office at 800/334-4249.
              http://www.nau.edu/asian
            • Carol W. Pfaff
              Message 6 of 13 , May 13, 2000
                Turkish/German written CS in Feridun Zaimoglu's 3 books:

                Zaimoglu, Feridun 1995. Kanak Sprak. 24 Mißtöne vom Rande der
                Gesellschaft. Hamburg: Rotbuch Verlag.

                Zaimoglu, Feridun 1997 Abschaum. Die wahre Geschichte von Ertan Ongun.
                Hamburg: Rotbuch Verlag.

                Zaimoglu, Feridun 1998. Koppstoff. Kanaka Sprak vom Rande der
                Gesellschaft. Hamburg: Rotbuch Verlag.

                This appears to be quite different from real corpora of spoken language
                analysed to date as I discuss in a forthcoming paper: "'Kanaken in
                Alemannistan'": Zaimoglu's representation of migrant language" but makes
                clear ideological points through extensive use of emblematic CS to
                represent the speech of Turkish/German youth and young adults (plus some
                older "interlocutors").

                Carol Pfaff
                Professor of Linguistics
                John F. Kennedy Institut fuer Nordamerikastudien
                Freie Universitaet Berlin
                Lansstrasse 5-9
                14193 Berlin
                GERMANY

                Tel: +49 30 838 52870
                Fax: +49 30 838 52882
                e-mail: jfkilxpf@...-berlin.de
              • petek kurtboke
                Message 7 of 13 , May 16, 2000
                  It is also appropriate to pay tribute to some early 'code-switchers' in
                  Britain, Sir Paul Rycaut and Lady Wortley Montagu, who used Turkish words in
                  their writings and forced these loans into the Oxford English Dictionary.
                  Lady Montagu's attitude was particularly significant at a time Dr Johnson
                  bitterly complained:

                  "The greatest pest of speech is frequency of translation. No book was ever
                  turned from one language into another, without imparting something of its
                  native idiom; this is the most mischievous and comprehensive innovation;
                  single words may enter by thousands and the fabrick of the tongue continue
                  the same, but new phraseology changes much at once; it alters not the single
                  stones of the building, but the order of the columns. If an academy should
                  be established for the cultivation of our style,...let them, instead of
                  compiling grammars and dictionaries, endeavour, with all their influence, to
                  stop the licence of translators, whose idleness and ignorance, if it be
                  suffered to proceed, will reduce us to babble a dialect of France." (Preface
                  to the Dictionary 1755)

                  Kurtb�ke, P 1995 'Bilinguals as the vehicles of borrowing': Sir Paul Rycaut
                  and Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and some Turkish loanwords in the OED. Working
                  Papers in Linguistics 15. The University of Melbourne.

                  Ropes, A 1892 Lady Wortley Montagu. London: Seeley & Co.

                  Rycaut, Sir Paul 1680 The History of The Turkish Empire From the Year 1623
                  to the Year 1677. Printed in London for Starkey.

                  Rycaut, Sir Paul 1668 The Present State of the Ottoman Empire. Printed in
                  London for Starkey & Brome.

                • Kembo Sure
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23, 2000
                    Moi University Library
                    P.o. Box 3900
                    Eldoret,
                    Kenya
                    Tel. 254-321-43720

                    Dear Mark

                    I would appreciate a copy

                    Kembo
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 16, 2005
                      Back in October, there were some postings about written
                      code-switching, and my name was mentioned in connection with a
                      colloquium at the International Symposium on Bilingualism in
                      Barcelona. Actually the colloquium convenor was Shahrzad Mahootian,
                      with participants myself, Carla Jonsson, Philipp Angermeyer and Maria
                      Verra.
                      I have been collecting and reviewing the literature in this area and
                      if anyone would like a copy of my very incomplete 'List of published
                      and unpublished work relevant to written code-switching' I'd be happy
                      to send it. Likewise if you think I may have left you off my list
                      please make contact!

                      Mark Sebba
                      Lancaster University
                      m.sebba@...