Re: [code-switching] Written code-switching

  • Nancy Stenson
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2000
      Another item on written CS is Lenora Timm's "Codeswitching in War and
      Peace" in one of the LACUS volumes from the mid 1970s. I can't get at the
      precise reference now, since my office is in disarray from a recent move
      and nothing is accessible, but it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

      Regards
      Nancy Stenson

      Nancy Stenson
      Institute of Linguistics and Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures
      190 Klaeber Court
      320 SE 16th Ave.
      Minneapolis, MN 55455

      Phone: (612) 624-2529
      email: stenson@...
    • Jacomine Nortier
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11, 2000
        Reference:

        Timm, L.A. Code switching in WAR AND PEACE.
        In: M. Paradis (ed.) Aspects of Bilingualism, pages 302-315.
        Columbia: Hornbeam, 1978.

        Regards,
        Jacomine Nortier

        At 10:51 AM 5/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >Another item on written CS is Lenora Timm's "Codeswitching in War and
        >Peace" in one of the LACUS volumes from the mid 1970s. I can't get at the
        >precise reference now, since my office is in disarray from a recent move
        >and nothing is accessible, but it shouldn't be too hard to track down.
        >
        >Regards
        >Nancy Stenson

        Jacomine Nortier
        Coordinator TCULT
        (Talen & Culturen in het Utrechtse Lombok & Transvaal)
        Utrecht Institute of Linguistics - OTS
        Trans 10
        3512 JK Utrecht
        tel +31 30 253 6075, private +31 30 289 6708
        fax +31 30 253 6000

        http://www.let.uu.nl/~Jacomine.Nortier/personal/
      • petek kurtboke
        Message 3 of 13 , May 12, 2000
          Unfortunately written code-switching doesn't sell like the spoken
          code-switching and that's a pity. We tend to think that in migrant settings
          there's little writing taking place but there are all those community
          newspapers waiting to be exploited by cs researchers and they come in all
          sizes, shapes, languages, ideologies and so on!

          I may be wrong but written cs is more of a concern in EFL/ESL circles and it
          might be worth posting your message to the new list advertised recently. I'm
          sure most of our e-group members have seen it already but I paste it below
          just in case.

          Cheers

          Petek (I've got 'Peter' and 'Perek' from the list members so far and look
          forward to new versions!)

          --------------------------------
          From: barlow@...
          Subject: Corpora: New list: Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching

          A new discussion list CLLT (Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching) has
          been created for those interested in the use of corpora in language teaching
          and language learning.

          message of the form:

          sub CLLT Joe Bloggs

          Questions concerning the list should be sent to the owners Michael Barlow
          (barlow@...) or Stephanie Burdine (sburdine@...).
          Michael

        • Mirjam Broersma
          Message 4 of 13 , May 12, 2000
            Dear Mark,

            Another article on written CS is:
            Wenskus, O. (1995). Triggering und Einschaltung griechischer Formen in
            lateinischer Prosa. Indogermanische Forschungen, 100, 172-192.

            Mirjam.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 12, 2000
              Another interesting source for written cs is Thomas Mann's "Buddenbrooks"
              which begins, the very first line of the very first chapter, in Luebeck
              Plattdeutsch; there is also some French in the conversation that begins
              there, and there are other examples of cs and use of various dialects
              (probably mainly to stigmatize certain characters).

              And way back in the heyday of Sanskrit literature, Kalidasa's
              'Shakuntala' (a drama) had some characters c-switching with Prakrit(s).

              Hal Schiffman
            • Jim Wilce
              Message 6 of 13 , May 12, 2000
                Then there is Umberto Eco's novel, The Name of the Rose, which is full of
                written CS, tho' it represents the characters' oral CS.
                Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
                Anthropology Department
                Box 15200
                Northern Arizona University
                Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200

                fax 520/523-9135
                office ph. 520/523-2729
                email jim.wilce@...
                http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
                Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
                Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3. Call OUP NY office at 800/334-4249.
                http://www.nau.edu/asian
              • Carol W. Pfaff
                Message 7 of 13 , May 13, 2000
                  Turkish/German written CS in Feridun Zaimoglu's 3 books:

                  Zaimoglu, Feridun 1995. Kanak Sprak. 24 Mißtöne vom Rande der
                  Gesellschaft. Hamburg: Rotbuch Verlag.

                  Zaimoglu, Feridun 1997 Abschaum. Die wahre Geschichte von Ertan Ongun.
                  Hamburg: Rotbuch Verlag.

                  Zaimoglu, Feridun 1998. Koppstoff. Kanaka Sprak vom Rande der
                  Gesellschaft. Hamburg: Rotbuch Verlag.

                  This appears to be quite different from real corpora of spoken language
                  analysed to date as I discuss in a forthcoming paper: "'Kanaken in
                  Alemannistan'": Zaimoglu's representation of migrant language" but makes
                  clear ideological points through extensive use of emblematic CS to
                  represent the speech of Turkish/German youth and young adults (plus some
                  older "interlocutors").

                  Carol Pfaff
                  Professor of Linguistics
                  John F. Kennedy Institut fuer Nordamerikastudien
                  Freie Universitaet Berlin
                  Lansstrasse 5-9
                  14193 Berlin
                  GERMANY

                  Tel: +49 30 838 52870
                  Fax: +49 30 838 52882
                  e-mail: jfkilxpf@...-berlin.de
                • petek kurtboke
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 16, 2000
                    It is also appropriate to pay tribute to some early 'code-switchers' in
                    Britain, Sir Paul Rycaut and Lady Wortley Montagu, who used Turkish words in
                    their writings and forced these loans into the Oxford English Dictionary.
                    Lady Montagu's attitude was particularly significant at a time Dr Johnson
                    bitterly complained:

                    "The greatest pest of speech is frequency of translation. No book was ever
                    turned from one language into another, without imparting something of its
                    native idiom; this is the most mischievous and comprehensive innovation;
                    single words may enter by thousands and the fabrick of the tongue continue
                    the same, but new phraseology changes much at once; it alters not the single
                    stones of the building, but the order of the columns. If an academy should
                    be established for the cultivation of our style,...let them, instead of
                    compiling grammars and dictionaries, endeavour, with all their influence, to
                    stop the licence of translators, whose idleness and ignorance, if it be
                    suffered to proceed, will reduce us to babble a dialect of France." (Preface
                    to the Dictionary 1755)

                    Kurtb�ke, P 1995 'Bilinguals as the vehicles of borrowing': Sir Paul Rycaut
                    and Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and some Turkish loanwords in the OED. Working
                    Papers in Linguistics 15. The University of Melbourne.

                    Ropes, A 1892 Lady Wortley Montagu. London: Seeley & Co.

                    Rycaut, Sir Paul 1680 The History of The Turkish Empire From the Year 1623
                    to the Year 1677. Printed in London for Starkey.

                    Rycaut, Sir Paul 1668 The Present State of the Ottoman Empire. Printed in
                    London for Starkey & Brome.

                  • Kembo Sure
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 23, 2000
                      Moi University Library
                      P.o. Box 3900
                      Eldoret,
                      Kenya
                      Tel. 254-321-43720

                      Dear Mark

                      I would appreciate a copy

                      Kembo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 16, 2005
                        Back in October, there were some postings about written
                        code-switching, and my name was mentioned in connection with a
                        colloquium at the International Symposium on Bilingualism in
                        Barcelona. Actually the colloquium convenor was Shahrzad Mahootian,
                        with participants myself, Carla Jonsson, Philipp Angermeyer and Maria
                        Verra.
                        I have been collecting and reviewing the literature in this area and
                        if anyone would like a copy of my very incomplete 'List of published
                        and unpublished work relevant to written code-switching' I'd be happy
                        to send it. Likewise if you think I may have left you off my list
                        please make contact!

                        Mark Sebba
                        Lancaster University
                        m.sebba@...