German project on codeswitching?

  • l_m_t_frei
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2006
      Hi there!
      Does anybody know anything about an ongoing project on codeswitching in
      Germany?
      Thanks a lot!
      Lisa
    • philip adamson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2006
        Hi,

        If you find out any more about this I would be very grateful if you could post it on this forum.

        Thanks

        Philip

        PS I asked at Leeds Uni Modern Languages Faculty ( German) and no-one there knew anything about it.

        l_m_t_frei <l_m_t_frei@...> wrote:
        Hi there!
        Does anybody know anything about an ongoing project on codeswitching in
        Germany?
        Thanks a lot!
        Lisa

      • inkedu
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2006
          Inke Du Bois, University of Bremen, University of Hamburg
          dubois@...

          With a corpus of almost 200000 words in 30 interviews with Americans
          living in Germany from two to forty years, I look at how Americans
          construct their cultural identities through bilingual language use. In
          a discourse analysis, the bicultural American and German
          identification will be ascertained. The bicultural identity is
          partially constructed through the simultaneous use of English and
          German in their speech.

          A further triangulation of qualitative and quantitative analyses sheds
          light on the overall bilingual language use of the participants.
          Questions of how do different ethnographic factors (age at emigration,
          length of residence, gender, amount of contact with other Americans
          and English speakers, etc.) influence the interviewees' identity
          construction and multilingual language use, will be answered.

          The corpus of spoken data was imported into a qualitative data
          analysis software in which all instances of lexical borrowing,
          semantic transfer and code-switching were counted. The instances were
          then correlated with the informants' extralinguistic demographic
          factors to provide a holistic analysis of multilingual data. The
          combination of qualitative and quantitative findings gives new
          insights into language use of German-English bilinguals.
          (This is an ongoing Phd project)
        • Peachy Princess
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2007
            Could you tell me what sort of qualitative data analysis software was
            used?