Re: switching and mixing

  • taschka1983
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2005
      Apparently Berruto has written something about the functions of
      switching and mixing stating that - particularly referring to mixing -
      it is usually not easily revisable if there are any functions the
      utterances might be based on. I have never read the primary
      literature though, but as far as I am concerned stating this he is
      mainly focused on spoken language. Thus, I assume, he might as well
      think differently in reference to written language. Still I reckon
      this might be interesting.

      Gumperz does indeed talk of functional and non-functional code
      switching. The functions are: referal, directive, expressive, phatic
      & poetic. Non-functional switching, he explains, is often caused by
      so-called "trigger words" like, for instance, homophones. Hence, the
      speaker alters the language unintentionally. (Though unintentional
      alternation can still be funtional at times!)

      Krefeld, on the other hand, is of the opinion that code-switching
      solely occurs with a functional basis. In contrast to that mixing,
      however, does not have a recognizable function. At least that's what
      he thinks.

      Maybe some literature of them might be interesting for you. Peter
      Auer, just as well, does have some interesting theories.

      If you have found some good references, could you please recommend me
      something? For I am still looking for literature concerning this
      topic.

      --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, Unchalee Chaiwichian
      <ann_chaiwichian@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, all
      >
      > Can anyone suggest me some references abot functional and non-
      functional code switching? Does intrasentential coe switching have
      functions?

      > Thank you
      >
      > Ann

    • mostari hind
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
        Hi,,
        for functional and non functional CS , check
        1. 'Discourse strategies' of Gumperz John (1972)
        2. ' Social Motivation of CS : Evidence from Africa ' of Myers Scotton (1995)

        Yes, intrasententila CS has many functions , check the above two books .

        Amel
        Algeria

        Unchalee Chaiwichian <ann_chaiwichian@...> wrote:
        Hi, all

        Can anyone suggest me some references abot functional and non-functional code switching? Does intrasentential coe switching have functions?

        Thank you

        Ann

      • joel walters
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
          All of the following give reviews of various categories of CS and CM:

          Clyne Dynamics of Language Contact
          Muysken's Bilingual Speech
          Myers-Scotton's Contact Linguistics
          Romaine Bilingualism
          Walters Bilingualism: Sociopragmatic and Psycholinguistic
          Zentella's Growing up Bilingual

          Joel Walters

          > for functional and non functional CS , check
          > 1. 'Discourse strategies' of Gumperz John (1972)
          > 2. ' Social Motivation of CS : Evidence from Africa ' of Myers Scotton
          > (1995)
          >
          > Yes, intrasententila CS has many functions , check the above two books .
          >
          > Amel
          > Algeria
          >

          > Unchalee Chaiwichian <ann_chaiwichian@...> wrote:
          > Hi, all
          >
          > Can anyone suggest me some references abot functional and non-functional
          > code switching? Does intrasentential coe switching have functions?
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Ann

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mostari hind
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
            dera colleaugues ,
            do you have the following PHD theses :

            1. Azuma, Shoji. 1991. Processing and Intrasentential Code-Switching. Ph.D.

            dissertation. University of Texas, Austin.

            2.Boussofara-Omar, Naima , Arabic diglossic switching : An application of Myers – Scotton’s MLF Model . PHD dissertation , University of Texas – Austin

            In fact , as a PHD researcher , they are very vital for my investigation , I will be grateful if you can send me a hard or an online copy of either .

            best regards

            Dr Mostari

            Algeria

          • FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
              Hi, Mostari,

              You may not be aware that *nearly* all American doctoral theses are
              available from University Microfilms, surely including these two. I think
              they may have been taken over by another company, but just Google them and
              it's sure to pop up. A 'light' Google on the second name produced an
              article by the person:
              www.degruyter.de/journals/ijsl/2003/pdf/163_77.pdf

              By the way, the theses, depending on the format you require (and it helps to
              have an academic address, especially if it's in the US or Canada) are not
              too expensive (anyway, cheaper than most books nowadays, especially if you
              order a microfiche or microfilm of the thesis).

              Jim

              mostari hind escribió:

              > dear colleagues ,
              > do you have the following PHD theses :
              >

              > 1. Azuma, Shoji. 1991. Processing and Intrasentential Code-Switching. Ph.D.
              >
              > dissertation. University of Texas, Austin.
              >
              > 2.Boussofara-Omar, Naima , Arabic diglossic switching : An application of Myers – Scotton’s MLF Model . PHD dissertation , University of Texas – Austin
              >

              > In fact , as a PHD researcher , they are very vital for my investigation , I will be grateful if you can send me a hard or an online copy of either .
              >
              > best regards
              >
              > Dr Mostari
              >
              > Algeria

              James L. Fidelholtz
              Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje, ICSyH
              Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla MÉXICO