my answer

  • mostari hind
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
      dear natasha ,
      Of course there is a great literature concerning CS , the most well known , is that syntactically speaking , code switching ( alos called code mixing ) is intrasentential CS , however code changing is intersentential CS .
      at the functional level , in other words , if you want to study CS from a non linguistic side , we have the pionner work of Gumperz with his situational VS non situational ( metaphorical ) CS .
      I welcome all your questions, since you are in germany , I think no problems with refernces , I will be grateful if you can send me some articles /references because here in Algeria there is a terrible lack .
      best regards
      Mostari
      Algeria

      taschka1983 <Taschka@...> wrote:
      Hi, I am Natascha and study at Bochum University, Germany.
      I am very interested in code-switching and thinking about writing a
      term paper about this topic.
      Having read several articles I noticed that the terms "code-switching"
      and "code-mixing" are dealt with in very different ways. In some
      articles it is said that code-switching is functional, whereas mixing
      has no function at all. In other literature there are differenciations
      between "functional and non-functional code-swichting" and sometimes
      the main criteria is whether the code-alternation appears within a
      sentence or not.
      Therefore I am now wondering what the most accepted definition of these
      terms is. Furthermore I would like to know whether there is some
      literature dealing with this definition problem, for I think this could
      be an interesting topic for my term paper.
      I hope you can help me.
      Thanks,
      Natascha

    • taschka1983
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 10, 2005
        Apparently Berruto has written something about the functions of
        switching and mixing stating that - particularly referring to mixing -
        it is usually not easily revisable if there are any functions the
        utterances might be based on. I have never read the primary
        literature though, but as far as I am concerned stating this he is
        mainly focused on spoken language. Thus, I assume, he might as well
        think differently in reference to written language. Still I reckon
        this might be interesting.

        Gumperz does indeed talk of functional and non-functional code
        switching. The functions are: referal, directive, expressive, phatic
        & poetic. Non-functional switching, he explains, is often caused by
        so-called "trigger words" like, for instance, homophones. Hence, the
        speaker alters the language unintentionally. (Though unintentional
        alternation can still be funtional at times!)

        Krefeld, on the other hand, is of the opinion that code-switching
        solely occurs with a functional basis. In contrast to that mixing,
        however, does not have a recognizable function. At least that's what
        he thinks.

        Maybe some literature of them might be interesting for you. Peter
        Auer, just as well, does have some interesting theories.

        If you have found some good references, could you please recommend me
        something? For I am still looking for literature concerning this
        topic.

        --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, Unchalee Chaiwichian
        <ann_chaiwichian@y...> wrote:
        > Hi, all
        >
        > Can anyone suggest me some references abot functional and non-
        functional code switching? Does intrasentential coe switching have
        functions?

        > Thank you
        >
        > Ann

      • mostari hind
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
          Hi,,
          for functional and non functional CS , check
          1. 'Discourse strategies' of Gumperz John (1972)
          2. ' Social Motivation of CS : Evidence from Africa ' of Myers Scotton (1995)

          Yes, intrasententila CS has many functions , check the above two books .

          Amel
          Algeria

          Unchalee Chaiwichian <ann_chaiwichian@...> wrote:
          Hi, all

          Can anyone suggest me some references abot functional and non-functional code switching? Does intrasentential coe switching have functions?

          Thank you

          Ann

        • joel walters
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
            All of the following give reviews of various categories of CS and CM:

            Clyne Dynamics of Language Contact
            Muysken's Bilingual Speech
            Myers-Scotton's Contact Linguistics
            Romaine Bilingualism
            Walters Bilingualism: Sociopragmatic and Psycholinguistic
            Zentella's Growing up Bilingual

            Joel Walters

            > for functional and non functional CS , check
            > 1. 'Discourse strategies' of Gumperz John (1972)
            > 2. ' Social Motivation of CS : Evidence from Africa ' of Myers Scotton
            > (1995)
            >
            > Yes, intrasententila CS has many functions , check the above two books .
            >
            > Amel
            > Algeria
            >

            > Unchalee Chaiwichian <ann_chaiwichian@...> wrote:
            > Hi, all
            >
            > Can anyone suggest me some references abot functional and non-functional
            > code switching? Does intrasentential coe switching have functions?
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Ann

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mostari hind
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
              dera colleaugues ,
              do you have the following PHD theses :

              1. Azuma, Shoji. 1991. Processing and Intrasentential Code-Switching. Ph.D.

              dissertation. University of Texas, Austin.

              2.Boussofara-Omar, Naima , Arabic diglossic switching : An application of Myers – Scotton’s MLF Model . PHD dissertation , University of Texas – Austin

              In fact , as a PHD researcher , they are very vital for my investigation , I will be grateful if you can send me a hard or an online copy of either .

              best regards

              Dr Mostari

              Algeria

            • FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
                Hi, Mostari,

                You may not be aware that *nearly* all American doctoral theses are
                available from University Microfilms, surely including these two. I think
                they may have been taken over by another company, but just Google them and
                it's sure to pop up. A 'light' Google on the second name produced an
                article by the person:
                www.degruyter.de/journals/ijsl/2003/pdf/163_77.pdf

                By the way, the theses, depending on the format you require (and it helps to
                have an academic address, especially if it's in the US or Canada) are not
                too expensive (anyway, cheaper than most books nowadays, especially if you
                order a microfiche or microfilm of the thesis).

                Jim

                mostari hind escribió:

                > dear colleagues ,
                > do you have the following PHD theses :
                >

                > 1. Azuma, Shoji. 1991. Processing and Intrasentential Code-Switching. Ph.D.
                >
                > dissertation. University of Texas, Austin.
                >
                > 2.Boussofara-Omar, Naima , Arabic diglossic switching : An application of Myers – Scotton’s MLF Model . PHD dissertation , University of Texas – Austin
                >

                > In fact , as a PHD researcher , they are very vital for my investigation , I will be grateful if you can send me a hard or an online copy of either .
                >
                > best regards
                >
                > Dr Mostari
                >
                > Algeria

                James L. Fidelholtz
                Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje, ICSyH
                Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla MÉXICO